We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seat confirmation for Bangkok Airways

Montreal
Level Contributor
836 posts
521 reviews
Save Topic
Seat confirmation for Bangkok Airways

I have a flight from Koh Samui to Phuket in August and I am not being given a seat confirmation. It was a hard flight to get, two seats were cancelled and so they were able to book the two we needed. I have another flight from Bangkok to Koh Samui also on Bangkok Airways a week before and the seat assignment appears. On the many flights being taken, it is the only one where there is no seat assignment. I asked if it was an issue of paying for it, she said no. I am not getting a good explanation and she is telling me not to worry about it.

But this does have me worried, because whenever I see an unwillingness by an airline to commit to a seat assignment (when I ask and am willing to pay for it) I think that it is oversold and I am going to be one of those people at the gate waiting in suspense to see if they can get on. I have been through this before. Any advice?

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,929 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Seat confirmation for Bangkok Airways

Most airlines hold some seats for assignment at check in, so no seat assignment doesn't mean oversold and no place to sit. Just the bad luck of being one of those last minute assignments. Best to check in earlier, rather than close to departure and be prepared for the possibility of not sitting together.

Montreal
Level Contributor
836 posts
521 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seat confirmation for Bangkok Airways

Thanks for the reply - I imagined I would have to check in (web check hopefully) and hope for the best. I guess I was wondering if anyone knew if this airline had a reputation for overbooking, etc. My experiences with Air Canada have not been good on this score when no seat assignment is possible, when it is booked late and I had no access to a computer for web check. I would get to the check in counter and they could not even print a seat number then. I would have to wait at the gate to get my seat - I knew what that meant. Meanwhile when I booked the flight I was told there was a plenty of room, no problem...

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seat confirmation for Bangkok Airways

I wouldn't worry. Personally speaking, I have never had an issue flying them. Just do online check-in as early as possible.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,384 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seat confirmation for Bangkok Airways

On some 70+ flights with Bangkok Airways I never had an issue with overbooking nor do I know anyone who had.

Montreal
Level Contributor
836 posts
521 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seat confirmation for Bangkok Airways

la0wei, that is good to know! I will still make every effort to do a web check but I am uncertain of internet access on the day before the flight. Knowing that they don't have a reputation for overbooking is heartening. I cannot remember the last time I flew Air Canada and they were not making announcements at the gate asking someone to give up their seat because they overbooked. Glad it is not every airline that does that.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seat confirmation for Bangkok Airways

I have used them for years and years and never ever had any problem, never ever had any overbooking issues on any airline in Thailand or any other problems whatsoever, note that the Koh Samui to Phuket flight is an ATR-72 aircraft which is 2x2 seating and just a short 50 minute hop anyway.

Lovely airline, you get lounge use for 'all' passengers :) superb airline

Montreal
Level Contributor
836 posts
521 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seat confirmation for Bangkok Airways

Monica4, that is very reassuring! Really looking forward to it.

London
Level Contributor
111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seat confirmation for Bangkok Airways

There are up to 5 flights a day with Bangkok Airways between Koh Samui and Phuket, so even if you were bumped off a flight, they should be able to re-protect you on to a later flight. As per above however, Bangkok Airways do not tend to overbook their flights, so you shouldn't have a problem. I've been booking (and using) them for years, and have never had any issues with them. There are probably just no seats left that are available to be pre-requested.

9. Re: Seat confirmation for Bangkok Airways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 06:17