We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ScootBiz Syd/Sin: a big yellow Greyhound

Sydney
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Topic
ScootBiz Syd/Sin: a big yellow Greyhound

Well, Salty and Mrs Croc choose Singapore as a tropical holiday destination this year. This trip is a treat because I shelled out hard earned filthy lucre (garnered by shaking down little old ladies in my brilliant career as a debt collector) to purchase ScootBiz class fares. Now, I did this knowing full well that Scoot is the most budget of budget airlines, and having read the reviews, and doubting very much that anything had changed with Scoot since they recently announced a multi-million SGD loss for their operating year. But I could not help myself. I paid less at their New Year fare sale to fly the two of us up and back in ScootBiz than Qantas or Singapore Airlines wanted for a basic economy fare. Temptation got the better of me I suppose and I even accepted an insane 2am departure back to Sydney.

Well two years into the Scoot experiment with daily service to Sydney, and I have to report that not much has improved from the previous reviews. Travelling on ScootBiz is like riding ‘business class’ in a Greyhound bus across America (if there were such a thing). It gets you there after 5 days, but you know the journey has not been fun. In essence you feel trapped on a ramshackle vehicle that has seen better days and you keep looking around for the winos who are going to steal your belongings when you are passed out from sleep deprivation somewhere in Nebraska.

I shouldn’t be too hard on Scoot. You get exactly what you pay for: a basic seat slightly bigger than a full service airline economy seat with good legroom and minimal reclining features. There is no entertainment; the food is not fit for a pet (and I mean that!); and a cup of hot water costs 5 SGD. But you get there and are a bit less beat up than sitting cramped for 8 hours with your knees aching. The planes have seen better days judging from the wear and tear on them, but Singapore Airlines does the maintenance so you know that they are unlikely to drop out of the sky. It is a very long 8 hour flight up from Sydney, and my suspicion is that part of the length is associated with a ‘go slow’ fuel burn strategy to reduce consumption. But it is a daytime flight up and the views out the window are really outstanding. (I shudder at the thought of the return journey departing Changi airport at 2 am.)

So, the moral of the story is: don’t expect much, because you aren’t paying much. Your airfare pays for the plane, the fuel, and a tiny bit of service (and even then Singapore Airlines is losing money on your business) but in exchange you get a bit more space and a reasonable amount of leg room. Anyone know how to smuggle your own can of dog food on board? Woof, woof.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ScootBiz Syd/Sin: a big yellow Greyhound

An entertaining post! I can't say I've ever been lured by them. Their departure times from HKG to SIN and return are hideous.

australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ScootBiz Syd/Sin: a big yellow Greyhound

Interesting first post.!!

I have flown with scoot biz from GC and found them good value for money.

And the biz seat is a LOT bigger than economy.

ausbt.com.au/scoot-seats-reviewed-and-the-be…

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ScootBiz Syd/Sin: a big yellow Greyhound

Good honest post and thanks. If only they didn't call the front end "Scoot Biz" maybe expectations from many wouldn't be as high. Biz gives the impression that it's a business class cabin where in fact it's no more (and less) than some premium economy cabins. I think this is a marketing mistake by Scoot. Thanks for your post. Are you able to compare it to competitors like Jetstar or Air Asia? I'm interested to see where Scoot sits among the 3 in your opinion.

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ScootBiz Syd/Sin: a big yellow Greyhound

Having travelled Scoot / Air Asia and Jetstar between Oz and Asia, here is my assessment (ranking)

Economy - 1st Scoot Yellow seats ($25 more), 2nd Jetstar, 3rd Air Asia, 4th Scoot normal seats

Premium - 1st Air Asia, Scoot, Jetstar

I am 6ft4 and 130kg and find Scoot yellow seats (only $25 more than economy) perfectly fine. Howver due to pricing, we regularly fly ScootBiz and find it more than adequate for family short/medium haul

5. Re: ScootBiz Syd/Sin: a big yellow Greyhound

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 06:17