We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Redeeming miles to go from US to Germany

san francisco
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Redeeming miles to go from US to Germany

I need some advice. I have over 150,000 freq flier miles saved up in Delta. I want to fly from San Francsico to Berlin (and back) next year. I'm seeing that it costs over 90,000 miles. But you only need 60000 miles for a roundtrip flight to London. Does it make sense to fly to London and pay for a flight to Berlin in order to save 30,000 miles? I tried other places in Europe with Delta and they all seem to cost over 90k miles except for some places like Paris (77,000). Am I missing something? Why is it so high to go to Germany? Thank you.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Redeeming miles to go from US to Germany

Flying on 2 separate tickets is always a risk.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Redeeming miles to go from US to Germany

Does it make sense to fly to London and pay for a flight to Berlin in order to save 30,000 miles?

-----

"It depends" so there is no simple answer.

What else could you do with those 30k miles?

How much would the flight from London cost?

How does that compare to the cost of purchasing 30k miles (if you can?)

Are you happy with the extra time spent on the ground in London since you'll have to leave a long gap between flights especially on the way back as it would be v expensive if you missed your delta flight back home?

Is miles availability for flights to London better than Germany?

Only you can answer these questions.

san francisco
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Redeeming miles to go from US to Germany

Dear Joe in the UK -

"What else could you do with those 30k miles?" The extra 30k miles would leave me with about 80thou whereas if I use 92k to go to Berlin I'm left with less than 60K. My next trip after Germany will probably be to the UK (have been twice and there is no place I love more).

How much would the flight from London cost? About $200.

How does that compare to the cost of purchasing 30k miles (if you can?) 30k miles would cost $1050.

Are you happy with the extra time spent on the ground in London since you'll have to leave a long gap between flights especially on the way back as it would be v expensive if you missed your delta flight back home?

No. Can't say I'm happy with that. Could stay a night or two in London and visit friends.

thanks

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,775 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Redeeming miles to go from US to Germany

Surely you will have to have a long connection in London on the way out as well, there are no direct Skyteam flights from London the Berlin. So you will have to recheck your bags. If you go via AMS or CDG then they should check your bags through to final destination, as flights can be with KL or AF

Edited: 05 July 2014, 22:15
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,157 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Redeeming miles to go from US to Germany

2 ideas:

If you have a Delta Amex card you can use a combination of miles + cash to pay for your ticket. So instead of paying extra money for a flight from London maybe just use part miles and part cash to pay for the ticket to Berlin.

I wonder also if the number of miles you need would be the same/ or different if you were flying with one of Delta's partner airlines like Air France orKLM?

I never like the idea of going on round about routes to get to my destination sooo I'd probably not go through London but if you don't mind then that sounds like a reasonable possibility.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,775 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Redeeming miles to go from US to Germany

Booking a reward ticket with KL/AF will cost a lot in surcharges which Delta do not apply

san francisco
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Redeeming miles to go from US to Germany

BIG thanks to all of you for your advice which is VERY helpful. I think I am going to go ahead and spend the miles and go straight to Berlin. But first I shall check those partner airlines and the surcharges.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Redeeming miles to go from US to Germany

what about buying the tickets and using the points to upgrade..that's what I would do - much better value

9. Re: Redeeming miles to go from US to Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 05:15