We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free Shannon heathrow, liquids

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
1,120 reviews
Save Topic
Duty free Shannon heathrow, liquids

Flying Shannon to Toronto via Heathrow. If I buy duty free liquids in Shannon can I take them on my second flight from heathrow to toronto? Do I repays security? Take I take a liquid through? I will not have access to my checked luggage.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,566 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free Shannon heathrow, liquids

You will not have access to your checked bags in London and you will have to go through security.

Normally, the staff at Shannon should be able to seal the liquids in a plastic bag which will be allowed through one security checkpoint (ie the one in Heathrow).

To double check that this is possible at Shannon you can email theloop@shannonairport.ie.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 14:16
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,553 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free Shannon heathrow, liquids

Surely you won't be able to purchase duty free at SNN before an intra-EU flight (to LHR).

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,433 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free Shannon heathrow, liquids

No, you wont be able to purchase duty free at Shannon, only at LHR, but most people confuse "tax free" which you can buy no matter which flight you're on, with "duty free" which is only available on flights heading out of the EU. Usually only a very limited range of items is available genuinely duty free, compared to the much larger range that can be bought tax free. To buy either the OP will need to tell the salesperson that they are transferring so they use the correct type of bag, as DouglasDC8 says.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,566 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty free Shannon heathrow, liquids

"Surely you won't be able to purchase duty free at SNN before an intra-EU flight (to LHR)."

"No, you wont be able to purchase duty free at Shannon, only at LHR"

You can if it's all on one ticket and your final destination is outside the EU. I regularly purchase duty free at UK airports when I am transiting to places like Africa through AMS or BRU. You just need to have your onward BP.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 17:34
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,553 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty free Shannon heathrow, liquids

I stand corrected re my post #2

shannonairport.ie/gns/…airport-shopping.aspx

You will need to ensure that liquids and gels purchased at Duty free are placed in a secure tamper evident bag (STEB) with the receipt inside and visible.

6. Re: Duty free Shannon heathrow, liquids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 02:35
7. Re: Duty free Shannon heathrow, liquids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2015, 05:15