We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CheapoAir - Beware

Denbighshire...
1 post
Save Topic
CheapoAir - Beware

I booked 2 flights for £160 each from UK to Sweden which I thought was a great deal. Then I had to change the name on one of the tickets so I first phoned the Airline. They told me they incur a fee of £40 but that I had to make the change through my travel agent so I contacted Cheapoair. They then charged me £135 to change the name on one of my tickets! This is almost the same price as buying another ticket simply to change one word on the plane ticket. and over 3 times as much as the airline had quoted me! After one week the still hadn't made the name change even after phoning them several times they simply made excuses that it was a lengthy process and so on, but they hadn't even changed the name on their systems, let alone contacted the airline. So after one week with no change or progress being made seems I will have to pay another £40 to change the name directly with the airline. I would advise anybody to stay away from Cheapoair, they are scammers who will take your money, overecharge you and not even do what you've paid them to do!

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CheapoAir - Beware

Ah... people who don't read or understand what they are buying. Tying to save a tiny bit of money and falling into the marketing trap of the 3rd party vendors. Cheapo is not so much a "scammer" as it is simply not a good deal if there are any changes that could happen. The problem is Cian E, you didn't read about their charges or investigate them online before you bought.

One does not lose by purchasing through the airlines directly. Airlines haven't given significant discounts to "travel agents" for years. They make a lot their money on fees and volume. And, Cheapo is NOT a travel agent. Stop thinking of them that way. They merely connect you with airfare... that you could readily do yourself.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,282 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CheapoAir - Beware

Who are you warning? Because it wasn't any good warning you was it. Unfortunately there are those who see cheap prices and buy without a thought or care of what the conditions are. In fact, no research even so how do you know you haven't fallen for a scam.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CheapoAir - Beware

Trying Googling CheapoAir Reviews, it might make you think twice about booking with this crap outfit.

Book direct with the airline next time.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,001 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CheapoAir - Beware

In the booking process there is a link to the T&Cs of booking with Cheapo. Here it is. I hope you have now learned to check more closely before "signing on the dotted line." You would be more vigilant with a home rental contract or a mortgage with a bank, right? Or travel emergency medical insurance policy wording, right? Or the return policy and warrantee of a big screen TV?

cheapoair.com/flights/generaltermsandconditi…

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CheapoAir - Beware

>>> Then I had to change the name on one of the tickets so I first phoned the Airline. <<<

Why did you first phone the Airline ? Your contract was with a shoddy 3rd party agent who purport to offer cheap flights, not the Airline. Sorry Cian but your post is wasted here along with several hundred others, most of which tell a similar tale of woe when dealing with the likes of CheapoAir.

No offence intended but you failed to do a simple search on the internet BEFORE you handed over your hard earned money to a cowboy outfit. A costly lesson learned hopefully.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 16:21
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
17,310 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CheapoAir - Beware

I have to say that the name CheapoAir says it all really. Why would anyone book with a company called that??

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,863 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CheapoAir - Beware

Sorry Cian, you're not the 1st & you won't be the last, as long as people don't bother doing any research I'm afraid.

Please warn your friends & family, because we see so many similar posts on here

8. Re: CheapoAir - Beware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 05:16