We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Increased security at airports:only for US-bound travellers?

UK
Level Contributor
342 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Increased security at airports:only for US-bound travellers?

Later this week I'm travelling from UK via Schiphol to Germany. My connection (KLM) is tighter than I'd like. There has been much in the news lately about increased security at airports - is that only for USA-bound travellers? Or for everyone using any airport no matter where they're going?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,565 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Increased security at airports:only for US-bound travellers?

The new measures are specific to US bound flights but depending on how they are being implemented at airports I would not be surprised if it was having an impact on security lines in general.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Increased security at airports:only for US-bound travellers?

I have no idea of the relevance of this measure but I understand the TSA have targeted cellphones (mobiles to us Brits) and Laptops etc that cannot power up for passengers travelling from some (undisclosed) airports in Europe,Africa and the Middle East to US, so if they are not charged or do not charge you could undergo additional screening which might add extra time in security prior to boarding,smartphones seem to be in for a particularly hard time

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Increased security at airports:only for US-bound travellers?

There was an update on the BBC this afternoon:

m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28185149

UK
Level Contributor
342 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Increased security at airports:only for US-bound travellers?

Thanks for the replies: it seems it's only for USA-bound passengers. That's a relief. Security barriers at Schiphol are bad enough anyway.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,284 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Increased security at airports:only for US-bound travellers?

< The new measures are specific to US bound flights >

The new measures are for all airports with direct flights to the US not just flights to the US - otherwise Evil Person "A" could book a flight to - say - Rome, whilst his friend Evil Person "B" books a flight to the US. Evil Person "A" then goes through security with his invisible bomb, doesn't get the enhanced check then passes it to Evil Person "B".

Assuming of course the authorities have thought this through.

The new checks on phones and the like to see if they turn on are even more stupid as it would not be too hard to put a smaller battery in a phone to pass the test

Edited: 07 July 2014, 09:04
London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Increased security at airports:only for US-bound travellers?

Unless a seperate security checkpoint is set up at the gate.

Or if (as has been mentioned before), some sort of setup at LHR T5, where T5B/T5C is used for US flights only, with a seperate checkpoint there.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Increased security at airports:only for US-bound travellers?

Alan-got to admit that is why I questioned the relevance of this security measure? also what are they going to say if battery level is on its last knockings?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,284 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Increased security at airports:only for US-bound travellers?

< what are they going to say if battery level is on its last knockings? >

Bin it or not fly

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Increased security at airports:only for US-bound travellers?

We were expecting a longer time going through security last week after hearing about it in the news.But there was hardly any security checks at all in Reus airport and a family of four even managed to get onto our Thomson Birmingham bound flight with tickets for Belfast. They weren't even Thomsons tickets.Anyone could have got on !

Passport control at Birmingham were really scutinising everyones info on the computers last week and taking ages checking the photos matched the person.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 12:02
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,284 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Increased security at airports:only for US-bound travellers?

< .But there was hardly any security checks at all in Reus airport >

Reus doesn't have direct flights to the US