We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I subscribe with Star Alliance, Sky Team,One World?

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Can I subscribe with Star Alliance, Sky Team,One World?

Hi, I'm gonna start a new job that will bring me monthly in different destinations around the globe, and after i read a lilttle bit about it, I wonder if i can use all 3 services Star Alliance, Sky Team and One World at the same time, so i can pretty much accumulate miles points everywhere I go, or, I have to stick to just one of them.

thanks in Advance,

Luca

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,177 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I subscribe with Star Alliance, Sky Team,One World?

Yes you can, but try to maximise travel with one of the alliances as it will speed up getting status, which is as important as the miles themselves.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,955 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I subscribe with Star Alliance, Sky Team,One World?

You can join as many airline frequent flyer programmes as you want. It's certainly best to pick just one programme from each of the three alliances, but you join the programme of a member airline, not the alliance itself. When you fly other airlines in the same alliance, the miles/points can go to the programme you have chosen.

Don't forget there are major airlines that aren't in any alliance and have their own separate frequent flyer programmes.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,157 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I subscribe with Star Alliance, Sky Team,One World?

Elite status is much more useful than the miles. If you can combine most of your flights onto one alliance, you'll reach a higher elite status level.

If you fly 50,000 miles, for example, a year it's more useful to accumulate them one one airline and get mid tier elite level status than say 17,000 miles each on three airlines and have no status.

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I subscribe with Star Alliance, Sky Team,One World?

Thanks for all these answer, they are all interesting in their own way, but just imagine You' ll have to fly using pretty much equally British Airways (one World), Luftansa (Star Alliance) and KLM (SkyTeam), plus some minor companies around central-America and China.. What would You do?

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I subscribe with Star Alliance, Sky Team,One World?

I can't really see a situation in which you would be using those particular three airlines equally, unless you are doing a lot of internal flights in Holland and Germany.

BA/LH/KL have a similar list of international destinations.

Perhaps you could provide a rough idea of where you plan to go?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,177 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I subscribe with Star Alliance, Sky Team,One World?

"You' ll have to fly using pretty much equally..."

Why? If you are making your own arrangements you can arrange to fly mostly with one alliance (the big three cover most places). If you aren't, then as long as you are a member of the three major alliances you will at least maximise your points.

So based on what you say, sign up for BA's programme and those of LH and KLM. But try to stick to one of the alliances as much as possible (remembering of course that you can, for example, earn KLM miles and status on China Airlines, China Eastern Airlines and China Southern Airlines).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I subscribe with Star Alliance, Sky Team,One World?

Elite status is much more useful than the miles.

---------

Depends on the alliance/airline and recognition.

If you're flying F then the only real benefits to elite status are the additional miles and if you're flying enough the benefits achieved at higher echelons of the top tier. If it's back of the bus the whole way then, yes, elite status makes the world of difference.

All depends on the amount and type of flying.

8. Re: Can I subscribe with Star Alliance, Sky Team,One World?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 06:15