We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dual Citizenship / Passport - Australia & Greek

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dual Citizenship / Passport - Australia & Greek

Hello

I currently have dual citizenship for Australia & Greece as well as both passports. I plan to travel to the UK & Europe, however I'm not sure when to use my Greek passport as opposed to my Australian passport? Not only that, my Greek passport has my name spelt differently to my Australian as the Greek one is written in the Greek language of course. Will this be an issue?

If I book my tickets in Australia, I will have to use my English spelling of my name, but when I enter through EU Customs, I will use my Greek passport. Do I need to fill out my "arrival card" as it is spelt on my Greek passport?

Grateful if anyone could shed any light on this.

M

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dual Citizenship / Passport - Australia & Greek

When you say your name is spelt differently, I presume you mean Latin as opposed to Greek script?

The Latin script on your Greek passport should match the English spelling on your Australian Passport.

You leave Australia on your Australian passport and enter the EU on your Greek passport. If your first port of call is in. Greece then fill out the arrivals card using either Greek or Latin script. If it's a non- Greek speaking country then use the Latin script on the arrivals card.

2. Re: Dual Citizenship / Passport - Australia & Greek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 07:15
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dual Citizenship / Passport - Australia & Greek

Your Greek Passport should have the English spelling of your name printed directly below the Greek spelling.

When machine read, the bar code should show the English spelling.

I suggest that you use the English form of spelling when completing your arrival / departure documents.

Buy your tickets using the Australian Passport details.

Use the Australian passport departing Australia, enter EU with the Greek.

For your return flight to Australia, use the Australian passport. This will save having to prove at airline check in that you have the right to enter Australia.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,887 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dual Citizenship / Passport - Australia & Greek

There are no landing cards/arrivals cards for EU citizens arriving at an EU airport, including the UK. We just walk up to the section of the Immigration area marked "EU/EEA" and show our passports, which may be scanned or just looked at. No stamps either. EU Immigration officers/Border Police (depends on country) are well used to Greek passports, since Greece has been in the EU for over 30 years, and EU passports are laid out on a standard template, no matter what language/alphabet they are in.

When the airline staff at check-in or departure gate In Australia ask to see your passport show them the Greek one. This entitles you to enter any EU country, plus Switzerland, Norway and Iceland, without visas or time limits. In the unlikely event that they say the names are different, show them the Australian passport as well, there are millions of people around with dual nationality, a lot of them live in Australia, and lots of them have passports that use different alphabets.

Show Australian Immigration staff the Australian passport.

Once you land at any European airport (again including the UK), use the Greek passport from then on until you are ready to fly back home to Australia. Then, show airline staff at check-in the Australian passport to show you're entitled to enter Australia without visas etc. Show Immigration staff at the European airport the Greek passport (that's if there is an outbound immigration checkpoint, the UK doesn't have any). From then on, put the Greek passport away and use just the Australian one at the boarding gate and for re-entering Australia.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dual Citizenship / Passport - Australia & Greek

Thanks AndyW33, that take a bit of strain off my mind. I depart Australia using my Australian passport. Once I land in the EU, I bring out my EU Greek Passport and off I go.

Thanks again to everyone. I'f I'm missing something or someone thinks there is something I have missed please let me know.

regards

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,019 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dual Citizenship / Passport - Australia & Greek

If you think about the purpose of a passport, that is to show whether you have the right to enter a particular country, it becomes much simpler to work out which passport you need to show where.

The airline wants to make certain you will not be rejected where you arrive after the flight, so it needs to see the passport that gives you the best chance of admission at the destination and that is the passport you use when you get there, therefore EU passport on the way to Europe, Australian passport on the way to Australia and for other countries, the passport which admits you to that destination without a visa or the one with the correct visa.

Airlines don't care whether you are "legal" in the country you are leaving from, only whether they will have to bring you back there if you don't have the right documentation for your destination.

7. Re: Dual Citizenship / Passport - Australia & Greek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 22:16