We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada poor customer service

Ottawa
Level Contributor
62 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Air Canada poor customer service

> I had booked a trip through Expedia from Ottawa to San Diego with United Airlines. The flight I had to Chicago from Ottawa got cancelled due to weather conditions and I accepted an alternate route through Air Canada which I deeply regret doing. This is not the first time I've experienced poor customer service through Air Canada, but I was hoping the other trips were an exception to the rule.

> The airplane sat on the YOW tarmac for over an hour and the flight attendants could only say that it was because there was lightening storms in Toronto and that most likely all flights flying to and out of Toronto would be delayed.

> Only good thing I can say is that they turned off the engine and allowed us to get out of our seats while we waited.

> On my way off the plane in TOR, no one was able to provide assistance on how to ensure I could make my connecting flight to San Diego which was showing "on time" on the flight board. After passing customs, baggage check, etc...the flight was no longer showing on the flight board and no one was to be found at any Air Canada gate.

> Strangely, the skies were VERY blue and the pavement was dry....no indication there had been a storm.

> The AC flight attendants I found roaming around had no clue where to direct me. I happen to find the service desk, and was told to get in line even though I said my flight was leaving in 10 minutes and I simply needed the gate number. As there were 4 people in line, my flight had left by the time I received "service".

> So booking another flight to get to San Diego, I opted for a layover in Los Angeles that night, instead of waiting another 24 hours in Toronto. I was not offered any compensation for either spending the night in Toronto nor Los Angeles even though Air Canada caused me to miss my flight.

> "Service guy" told me he could not give me the boarding pass for the next day flight, but omitted to say he did not complete the booking and that I was expected to go to the AC ticket counter at LAX to get one. I only got the customer service contact information when I returned to the desk to confirm my flight to San Diego was in fact the next morning at 9:55.

> After a short night in a close by hotel, I returned to the LAX airport the next morning. I went to US airlines who had no trace of my info who redirected me to American Airlines, I found out that there was no ticket for me as the booking the TO agent did not complete the booking.

> The ticket agent and I spent over 55 minutes on hold with AC in Toronto because no one was picking up the phone at AC ticket counter at LAX. My 9:55 reservation was cancelled in the interim and American Airlines reserved an 11:30 flight for me.

> The agent in Toronto said he could do nothing for me because the notes on file said I had accepted LAX as my final destination. After he finally got my argument that it made absolutely no sense for me to change my final destination, he told me I needed to speak with a ticket agent at LAX to see what they could do for me. Since NO ONE was picking up the phone, I walked from American Eagle terminal 4 to Air Canada terminal 2 and back. Please look at a map of the airport to appreciate this is a 30 minute walk one way as I am in extremely good shape. I barely made the 11:30 flight.

> I hate to think what would have happened to my baggage, had I any with me on this trip.

> I received no apologies from anyone at Air Canada throughout this whole ordeal and an overall lack of customer service. American Eagle was the one that walked me through the steps and compensated for AC's lack of customer service. United Airline staff provided assistance in directing me to my connecting flight going back to Ottawa and to others on board making connecting flights.

>

> I am expecting a full refund for my hotel and meal expenses and a half of my air fare for losing a day from my travels.

All Air Canada is offering is a 20% discount on a future and most likely equally poor experience.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Canada poor customer service

Lightning storms and the waiting on the Tarmac is not AC's fault and you missing your connection can happen when they are tight together....

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,657 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Canada poor customer service

Agree ... AC doesn't close the airport ... airport authority does. You could just as easily have been sitting in any other airline's plane on the tarmac, waiting for permission to take off and land in Toronto. Because Toronto has so much air traffic, when there is an alert, it usually means flights bound for TO which have yet to leave are held on the ground. Means you have fewer jets circling.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Canada poor customer service

Hi all,

Just popping in to mention that we've moved this topic here to the Air Travel forums where it is more appropriately placed. Thanks for sharing your experiences, mimionthebeach!

Best regards,

TA_Louise

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,187 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Canada poor customer service

I am not being condescending, but you should be thankful that you only sat on the tarmac for one hour. I have sat there for much longer due to weather and air traffic issues, none of which were the airline's fault. At least that part shouldn't be counted against AC.

If your connecting flight was truly leaving in 10 minutes, you wouldn't have made it anyway. Also, the gate number is normally on the TV monitors.

At LAX, it does not take 30 minute to walk from T2 to T4. It's probably a maximum 15 minute walk. Also, you could have taken the inter-terminal bus

The part of your story that made sense possibly was the missed booking in the evening at LAX. They couldn't check you in the night before at the counter, but if the booking was complete, they should be able to print you an itinerary. Make sure you get a printout next time.

5. Re: Air Canada poor customer service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 15:06
6. Re: Air Canada poor customer service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 00:16