We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Random upgrades do happen!

uk
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Random upgrades do happen!

Just checked in for a flight with China Eastern today - an airline I'm flying for the first time and my first Skyteam flight flight for over 18 months so not status there either.

Happy to report I have very randomly been upgraded to business class.

I had to double check my confirmation to make sure that the travel agent hadn't made a mistake and booked the wrong class!

It is only a short flight but I will enjoy my good fortune.

Any idea why the upgrade fairy has similed on me today?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,900 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Random upgrades do happen!

Just when you thought you were out .... they pull you back in. One upgrade now, and you may be more amenable to booking China Eastern or another Skyteam carrier for your next journey. That may or may not happen, but if it does then their work will be done.

Or they may have needed your seat in Economy to ensure minimal aggro for a couple or family who'd booked. It's easier to move one person than two.

For whatever reason, enjoy it. And happy second birthday this month to the very well-travelled Miss Engineer.

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Random upgrades do happen!

Ahhh, so nice. Often, the upgrade fairy has sat on my shoulder. And it seems to be always at the best times. Don't question, just enjoy.

Lake Crystal...
Level Contributor
599 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Random upgrades do happen!

Not having flown since the '70s, I flew a round trip on AA in 2011 and again in 2012 -- and in 2012 both of us got put in First Class for a leg. ?????

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Random upgrades do happen!

I'd just gotten into my aisle seat beside a co-worker and a stranger in the window seat. The FA came and passed a business-class boarding pass to the fellow in the window seat, his upgrade had been arranged.

He looked at us and said, he'd gotten settled in, would either of us like it?

I was faster on the uptake. :)

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
26,734 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Random upgrades do happen!

Rarely happens but when it does you feel great.

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Random upgrades do happen!

When I have traveled with my daughter or my husband, the surprise upgrades have always been for both of us.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Random upgrades do happen!

I seem to get a lot of upgrades. Last one with Cathay the girl at. CHeck in said flight is full but I've upgraded you because you have a happy face!!

Gold coast
Level Contributor
106 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Random upgrades do happen!

The very fist flight my husband and I took 30 yrs ago Sydney to Hawaii Cathay pacific , as we booked in the service girl said I think I can do better for you, we had no idea what she was talking about until on the plane our seats were in business class with champagne and all the works! Like heaven. Downside was all the other trips we could not help but compare to our first trip over.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
393 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Random upgrades do happen!

Flew TAP Portugal the first time recently from Bordeaux to Lisbon, both my wife and I were upgraded at the gate. Service on board was excellent even for the short flight. Not so lucky for our subsequent flight out of Lisbon though, guess such thing don't happen often.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 07:59
Lake District
Level Contributor
283 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Random upgrades do happen!

I am also pleased to say yes they do.

Me and husband flew US Airways in 2012, Gatwick to Charlotte Douglas, had extra legroom seats, exit row seats whatever they are called. Charlotte Douglas to Las Vegas 1st Class (no lie down beds or anything like that, but still much more roomier than economy. Then return journey I had the extra legroom seats on both parts of the journey and husband on one of them. It was a lovely surprise and going on holiday without the kids obviously has its perks.