We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

last minute upgrade question

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
227 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
last minute upgrade question

Hi All,

My husband and I will be traveling to Maui for our babymoon in September. We're flying from NYC, and I'll be about 27-28 weeks pregnant. Would love to book first-class, but it's just too pricey for me to justify...so my question is this. Provided we book premium economy on either United or Delta, which airline do you think would give us the greatest chance of a last minute upgrade possibility (which I realize we might have to pay for, but it'll be far less that buying first class outright). Has anyone gotten lucky with this previously?

Much thanks, all!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: last minute upgrade question

You will likely have to pay the fare difference.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: last minute upgrade question

... well, Ive seen them sold at the gate for the full difference in price!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,913 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: last minute upgrade question

I would have thought that would be a popular route with a high number of frequent flyers in line for points upgrades - I don't think it's going to make any difference which airline you book with as it all comes down to whether you are lucky on the day of the flight.

Don't expect a cheap upgrade as airlines are just as likely to fly with empty seats in premium cabins to protect the value of the brand.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,408 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: last minute upgrade question

Agree with the other answers - they will make upgrades available to their frequent flyers first, and on popular routes, that normally fills out business or first completely. I doubt that you will get much of a cut-priced upgrade offer from either, unless you have status. If flying that class is important to you, then I think you are going to have to pay full price for it.

Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: last minute upgrade question

I've flown to Maui half a dozen times though always from the west. They are always full. Frankly I think you are kidding yourself if you think you'll get a last minute upgrade at cut price there will be a ton of elite frequent flyers who grabbed those seats days ahead, and if any free (unlikely) at the gate . They certainly won't be cheaper than buying direct.

And congratulations.

6. Re: last minute upgrade question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 01:17
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor