We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

problems cancelling flights

Watford, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
problems cancelling flights

In April I booked flights with Airfast from London to Uzbekistan via Moscow on Transaero returning Kyrgyzstan to London via Istanbul with Turkish Airlines. My husband got a job & can't go, so me & my daughter decided we'd rather spend a few days in Moscow then travel directly on to Kyrgyzstan. We told Airfast we wanted to cancel the second part of the first flight from Moscow to Uzbekistan. They say we can't do this, but would have to cancel the whole flight including the return, even though it is from a different country with a different airline. This makes no sense to me, especially as Turkish airlines say their tickets are non-refundable. I'm not looking for a refund, just dont want to use a flight.

I called Transaero who say I can cancel that part of the flight at the airport, but I'm a bit worried to leave things until that point in case some-one at the airport says anything different, or Airfast then cancel my return ticket as I haven't taken the whole flight.

I don't want to be forced to cancel all the flights as I know from cancelling my husbands flights that I'll only get back £185 per person having paid £431 originally. Any advice?

Laura

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: problems cancelling flights

In general you cannot cancel part of a ticket. Thats the rules. Cancel or no show on one flight and all subsequent flights are cancelled. Whether or not it makes sense is irrelevant (and it does but it doesn't really matter why, as you are stuck with them)

It doesn't help you booked via a travel agency who have their own rules on top making it even less flexible. Thats one downside of booking with a TA, much less flexibility (and many other problems), but even if you booked direct you could still have problems.

I would chance it with cancelling at the airport as suggested thats far less likely to cause a ripple, effect on your other flights.

I'm not sure you have any choice anyway since you cant do it via AFT.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 00:30
Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
3,061 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: problems cancelling flights

Coupled with the fact that Airfast are in liquidation and will not be too keen to assist

Watford, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: problems cancelling flights

Thanks for the advice. Astonishingly I got an email this morning saying they have cancelled that part of my flight.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: problems cancelling flights

Wow. I'm amazed. i think you dodged a bullet here in multiple respects. I suggest you rush out and buy a lottery ticket in case some luck is still hanging around you !

Edited: 10 July 2014, 08:48
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: problems cancelling flights

I would check with the airline that everything is in order, just to be on the safe side.

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: problems cancelling flights

Airfasttickets refund

Can someone assist , do they still exist

I am battling to get a prorate refund following an cancelation

Initially e mails responded to and suddenly no reply

Johan

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
59,923 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: problems cancelling flights

They ar ein severe financial difficulty, and many people are in the same boat. There has been speculation that AFT's US arm is being kept going, while the others have been basically sacrificed.

Watford, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: problems cancelling flights

I have also been trying to get the refund promised beginning of July. I have had lots of emails saying it is taking a bit longer than usual but you will get it. However nothing since 18th September. Basically the internet is full of crooks. I assume there is nothing we can do about getting the money back even if they do go under.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
59,923 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: problems cancelling flights

More information on the status of AFT has been posted here

tripadvisor.co.uk/…62016582

Its doesn't look like good news, I'm afraid.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: problems cancelling flights

They have been put into administration.You can probably wave goodbye to your money.