We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 hour layover worth saving 200.00?

antioch
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
4 hour layover worth saving 200.00?

considering a 1 stop vs. non stop bay area to London 200.00 difference but a 4 hour layover in DC

minimal 1 hour layover on return flight.

I'm not exactly rich so 200 smackers IS 200.00

just wondering how others feel about $$ vs. time

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,725 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 hour layover worth saving 200.00?

Well if money is the issue and your not in a hurry just eat the four hours it will go by quick I also had a 4 hour layover in Atlanta had plenty of music and DVD's I was fine.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 hour layover worth saving 200.00?

-----------------------------

I'd take the layover but others feelings will range from most definitely worth it to no way not worth it for all the tea in China.

What matters is whether you think it's worth it or not.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 hour layover worth saving 200.00?

So if someone paid you fifty bucks an hour, for four hours, to sit in an airport and do as you please would you take them up on the offer?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,326 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 hour layover worth saving 200.00?

'minimal 1 hour layover on return flight' That is not a layover, that's an accident waiting to happen. Unless you will fly from DUB or SNN and go through US preclearance then fly to the States as a domestic passenger, allowing an hour between an international arrival and domestic departure is almost guaranteed to cause headaches aplenty.

With what airlines would you travel on the routes, both nonstop and with connections?

I would be tempted to spend an extra four hours at an airport to save $US200 but it would depend on the airlines I'd have to fly.

antioch
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 hour layover worth saving 200.00?

the hour layover is on the return leg at IAH (intercontinential houston,tx) 4:25 arrival,departs 5:37 for San Jose, Ca. all on United Airlines, if I missed this flight due to delay wouldn't United just book me on next available, if there are any?? now that would be ironic! oh well paid 6.00 for a 72 hour fare lock to mull things over. thanks for all the quick replies. appreciate it

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 hour layover worth saving 200.00?

if I missed this flight due to delay wouldn't United just book me on next available, if there are any??

-----------------------------

Yes, if you are booked on one through ticket, one itinerary. No if you are booked on separate tickets.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
102 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 hour layover worth saving 200.00?

Take the money!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,323 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 hour layover worth saving 200.00?

---------

Who cares what we think, it's what you think that matters.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,638 posts
1,303 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 hour layover worth saving 200.00?

For international connections, we try to build in 4 hours time. That is not an issue for us. Your 1 hour, depending on several factors might be, on the return.

Also, I find that IAD is not the most efficient US airport for port-of-entry, but times can vary wildly.

We just hang out in one of the United Clubs, if things go smoothly.

Good luck,

Hunt

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,196 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 hour layover worth saving 200.00?

Hi

4 hrs is not that long in the scope of airline travel

I see it as a buffer zone for safety and on a long international flight you get to strecht your legs.

what if flight leaves late and you miss a connection on a short layover