We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Bris-LAX with kids HELP :)

Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Flying Bris-LAX with kids HELP :)

Hello,

My husband and I are taking our 2 sons (3year old & 9 month old) to LA & San Diego. We are flying from Australia. Is there any tips anyone can offer to help us make the flight as less disruptive to the other passengers as possible? I would love any positive advice on travelling with 2 young children. How does the car seat situation work?

Also TSA locks, is this a must have?

Thanks

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
520 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Bris-LAX with kids HELP :)

Sorry I can't help with the "flying with kids" situation, as we don't have children, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of people on here who can offer some helpful advice.

As far as the TSA locks go ... yes they are a must have when travelling to the US if you want to lock your suitcases, as TSA officials are able to open these locks with a master key if your cases are being inspected. Has happened to hubby several times, they've left a notice in the bag advising that it had been inspected and the bag had been relocked.

If you use a non-TSA approved padlock, they can (and will) cut the padlock off if they want to search your bag. For a cheaper option, you can always just use something like cable ties - cheap to replace, so doesn't matter if they're cut off. Not a hassle, you might think, if you're going to be picking your bags up from the luggage carousel shortly anyway - however each time it's happened to us, hubby's bag has been inspected on the way OUT of the US, so that would be a long time for the bag to remain unlocked until we were reunited with it in Australia!

Not that padlocks or any other device are a match for determined thieves, but we never have anything in our checked luggage that is worth taking anyway

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Bris-LAX with kids HELP :)

I assume that you are asking about the carseat for your 3 year old but are you booking a seat for your 9 month old son as well?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,315 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Bris-LAX with kids HELP :)

As said above, a seat and carseat for your 9 month old, although not required by the airlines will be a lifesaver for you and the people around you.

4. Re: Flying Bris-LAX with kids HELP :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 04:16