We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using my Amex points to upgarde a flight

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Topic
Using my Amex points to upgarde a flight

Hello,

hope someone can help - I would like to surprise my fiancee by upgrading our honeymoon outbound flight to First Class on Emirates flight from Gatwick to Dubai. I booked a package holiday through Kuoni and wondered if anyone knew If I would be able to use my points on my AMEX to upgrade the two outbound tickets to Dubai - we are travelling on ot Maldives but want the main leg of the outbound to be in First Class.

any help or tips greatly appreciated.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Using my Amex points to upgarde a flight

What class are you currently booked in?

The Emirates website - Spending Miles - gives information on upgrading from Economy to Business and from Business to First.

The issue may well be availability so I would suggest you first find out if your ticket can be upgraded, whether there is any availability and how many miles required etc before you transfer the points from Amex

The site does state "*Some ticket types can only be upgraded within 24 hours before departure at check-in only. Upgrades are subject to availability."

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,963 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using my Amex points to upgarde a flight

OK, I'm sticking my neck out a bit here, but I think, as well as the above points, you need to go back to Kuoni first and check what sort of ticket they bought in the first place. Some package trips include flights booked in travel trade only fare buckets which cannot be upgraded. Also, while I'm not very familiar with Emirates, most airlines, you can only 'jump' one class, so you could only upgrade to first if you were already in business, not economy.

If you can upgrade, and all the above is wrong, you will still need to get your EK PRN from Kuoni to do anything. Also, the AMEX Ts&Cs will have some info to indicate what sort of tickets can be upgraded.

SWT

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using my Amex points to upgarde a flight

You can only upgrade one class on Emirates, i.e. economy to business or business to first.

4. Re: Using my Amex points to upgarde a flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 05:16