We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New security

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
New security

Due to the new security in the airports do you think it is wise to leave a bit earlier than Normal.

Also I no phones iPads ext have to be turned on if asked but my granddaughter wants to take her DVD player but it's not batterie operated so what would we do to prove we can turn it on

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,809 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New security

Plug it in? I've never been asked to turn anything on.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,657 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New security

bb - this is a new thing - started about ten days ago.

if there are no sockets available, you could be refused permission to take it on board. easier to leave it at home, in my opinion.

England, United...
Level Contributor
10,909 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New security

Brooklyn,

Due to " specific and credible" security warnings, emanating from the USA, pax using UK airports are now being told that all electronic items items must be demonstrably able to be used, and not just be shells in which explosive substances might be carried on board an aircraft as hand luggage.

I'm a bit surprised that you are seemingly not aware of this, bearing in mind the massive media coverage, and especially your own TSA's role in the warnings....

Are we not to take it seriously if the USA isn't aware?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,083 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New security

Although the new measures are primarily aimed at battery operated devices the position is changing and the guidance is not 100% clear - assume that you'll need to prove (if required) that the DVD player operates for it's intended purpose.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New security

My understanding is that UK airports are busily installing more sockets (no mention of leads etc being available airside) and it should be completed in a couple weeks-subject to the contractors hiring the skips-lol!!!

Edited: 12 July 2014, 19:23
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,081 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New security

at the moment the new security measure do not seem to be making any significant difference in security queues,but as we come into the major holiday season that may change. I would check when the company you are flying with open the gates for check-in / bag drop and get there for when it opens, that should give you plenty of time. If going hand luggage only, 2 hours before hand should be more than plenty.

Also depends on the Airport, if flying from liverpool I think you will be ok, never had a problem flying from there but I have done so on only 2 occasions, Manchester is a different matter and I wopuld give myself plenty of time for that. I rember when the new liquid rules came in and I was flying through manchester , took over an hour to get through security.

As to the DVD player,if you need to plug it in so be it,hopefully the security folk will be aware of things like this but you can never be sure.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New security

You could try ringing the airport and asking then what their policy is.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,809 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New security

The new checks seem to primarily related to specific overseas (from my perspective) airports with direct flights to the US. Someone flying out of one of the affected airports will have to weigh in, I guess, on the likelihood of actually being asked to power up a device.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New security

I think I heard the other day that this had been extended to all UK airports even if they have no flights to US. Probably they are being cautious.

10. Re: New security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 22:38