We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which of these 2 airlines for business class?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
827 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Which of these 2 airlines for business class?

Hello,

My husband and I will be travelling around Europe for 3 months from November this year. Our flight to Istanbul will be with Etihad in business class. We are now ready to book the return leg of the flight out of Athens and not sure which of these two options to go with:

Option 1

Turkish Airlines to Kuala Lumpur (business class)

Malaysian Airlines to Melbourne (economy)

Option 2

Emirates to Dubai (economy)

Qantas to Melbourne (business class)

This option will mean I lose one day of leave before returning to work

Both of these options are very close in cost (option 2 being marginally cheaper, if I recall correctly).

Thanks for your advice :)

australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which of these 2 airlines for business class?

I have just returned from the UK with QANTAS Business class and it was absolutely fantastic. i would go with this option.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
827 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which of these 2 airlines for business class?

Thanks kiwicurls. Are you able to let me know a bit more about your experience?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which of these 2 airlines for business class?

I would do the longest leg in business,,,,

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,862 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which of these 2 airlines for business class?

I would go with option 2 in your case as Istanbul to Dubai is a short economy ride of 4 hours, while Dubai to Melbourne is the longer trip at 7.5 hours. You definitely want to get your money's worth and spend more time in business class if possible.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which of these 2 airlines for business class?

DXB-MEL non stop takes approx. 13.5 hours.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which of these 2 airlines for business class?

My first priority would be to make sure I do any overnight legs in Business.

If,as I suspect is the case, both your flights into Melbourne are overnight, I would go with Option 2 in a heat-beat.

Economy is tolerable for daytime flights, but overnight you really want to be able to stretch out and get some sleep.

In addition, it's much easier to get through an economy leg knowing you have a flat bed waiting for you at the other end than it is to go from Business class seat to Economy on the last leg.

Edited: 14 July 2014, 09:16
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
827 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which of these 2 airlines for business class?

Thanks for all your feedback

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which of these 2 airlines for business class?

I'm a big fan of Qantas' business class product, and I think you'd be on the A380 to Australia, which means a fully-flat bed, rather than angled lie-flat. It's nice to fly in business to Australia from that direction. Athens to Dubai is only about 4 hours or so, easy in economy-- though check if it's the flight on the B777 or older A330.

In defence of Turkish Airlines' business class-- their lounge in Istanbul is amazing. One of my favourite in the world. TK's catering, both on the ground and in the air, is well known for its quality. Could you perhaps swap Malaysia Airlines economy for Air Asia premium (business class flat seats minus the frills like champagne)?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
170 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which of these 2 airlines for business class?

I flew to Istanbul in Business from NZ and back in economy on Emirates last august.

I found both to be excellent. The only problem in economy was the screaming baby, but my personal noise cancelling headset helped with that. I found the entertainment and food in emirates, even in economy was very good.

I agree with previous posters that I would take the sleeping leg in business if at all possible as sleeping in economy is painful.

10. Re: Which of these 2 airlines for business class?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 05:17