We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning at 3+ Month Trip to Thailand, looking for advice!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Planning at 3+ Month Trip to Thailand, looking for advice!

Hello there!

This will be my first trip abroad... So far I have secured my passport and have done a fair amount of research online, but I feel like I have been getting more confused with the more information ive been coming across. First off, I am not too sure how long I would like to stay out.. I was going to start with buying a one way ticket and just winging it (I am aware that one way tickets arent recommended but I was excited by the idea of getting away with it and having my trip open ended.) I was looking at round trip tickets today which would save me some money, but I am not sure when i would like to return, which is why I was looking into a one-way in the first place.

Lets say I find a cheap ticket through momondo or skyscanner or whatever.... What if i need to change the return date? Or the return destination? How do I get travel protection through a "cheap flight finder" type of a website? Does this even garauntee that I will be able to alter my flights in any way or am I looking at a huge waste of money and additional costs?

I am unsure of Visas, a lot of forums say that you can get a visa as you enter the country, other people say the opposite... I wasnt planning on spending my entire trip in Thailand, im looking to explore cambodia, vietnam, laos, maybe even go an visit an old friend in Korea... in which case I dont really need a visa because I wont be over staying my welcome in each country for too long... Im aware that if you were to return Thailand you are limited to only 15 days of stay before you need to leave again so if i have a return flight I would need to re-enter Thailand and immediately leave again.

Honestly I am just over whelmed with possibilities and contradicting advice from all over the internet and thought I would just start MY OWN thread in order to consolidate advice from experienced travelers.

HALP :)

PLEASE HALLPPP

Im a n00b, in need of serious guidance.

but do not be fooled! I am also an experienced adventurer and I am not afraid to get down and dirty, to get lost, and to do things the hard way in order to make this trip as colorful as possible.

Cheers!

and Thanks!

-AK

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,243 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning at 3+ Month Trip to Thailand, looking for advice!

You want a ticket with flexibility then you'll have to pay for it. They cost more than restricted tickets which don't allow any changes.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,556 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning at 3+ Month Trip to Thailand, looking for advice!

You WILL need a visa for Thailand unless you have a confirmed return or onward AIR ticket out of the country within the 30 day visa exemption window. It will be the airline that checks for this when you check in, and if you don't have either the onward/return ticket or a visa you won't be allowed to fly.

See the bottom - dc.thaiembdc.org/consular/VISA/Exempt2.aspx

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,556 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning at 3+ Month Trip to Thailand, looking for advice!

And I should add that if you are a US citizen, you will need to obtain the visa in advance of travel. Visa on Arrival is NOT available to US citizens nor of any country in the tourist visa exemption program.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,638 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning at 3+ Month Trip to Thailand, looking for advice!

There is at the moment a great deal of confusion and different interpretation of the existing visa regulations for Thailand, the recent extension to 30 days from 15 for land crossings for G7 countries (which includes the US) and in particular the abuse of the Visa Exempt (30 days without a visa) Scheme which has been abused by serial back to back Visa Runners. New Regulations to cover the arrival into Thailand by air are due to be released at any time to become effective from 12th August 2014. Until then and until they and any implications for land entries are studied and understood the situation is likely to remain confused.When are you intending to travel?

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning at 3+ Month Trip to Thailand, looking for advice!

Additionally, make sure you book your flights directly with the airline. Third party websites can and do cause problems. Especially with what your planning on doing it's much easier dealing directly with the airline.

Given that you're unsure of dates it might be a good idea to book a flex fare instead of two single fares too.

Regards

Jim

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,602 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning at 3+ Month Trip to Thailand, looking for advice!

Could you please explain what problems "third party booking sites" cause in regards to visas?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning at 3+ Month Trip to Thailand, looking for advice!

If you do decide to visit Vietnam you will need to apply for a visa in advance.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,556 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning at 3+ Month Trip to Thailand, looking for advice!

>>Could you please explain what problems "third party booking sites" cause in regards to visas?<<

I suspect Arandora was answering another part of the OP's question. And in any case, they can (albeit indirectly) affect visa issues. If you need to make a quick change to a flight it is far easier to do that directly with the airline than through a third party middleman.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning at 3+ Month Trip to Thailand, looking for advice!

la0wei

My response to the OP was with specific regard to flights being booked directly with the airline as all the advice on here suggests this. At no point did I even mention visa applications.

Regards

Jim

10. Re: Planning at 3+ Month Trip to Thailand, looking for advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 06:37