We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin and Delta Connections: Major Baggage Problem

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin and Delta Connections: Major Baggage Problem

I recently took a round-trip flight using a combination of Virgin Atlantic and Delta airlines. The airlines lost my checked bag on BOTH the departure and return legs of my journey.

I was told by Virgin staff that this has been a persistent problem with their connections with Delta, and one staff member said it happens basically daily at Heathrow (LHR) that Virgin connections with Delta have passengers who's bags do not arrive.

Both airlines have placed blame on one another in their conversations with me.

Let this be a warning: If you are travelling with a combination of Virgin and Delta, they are having problems with the bags not arriving with you! I asked in a written letter to both airlines to tell me how and when they expect the issue to be solved, and I have not received a response to that question.

Also, they will not compensate you for your inconvenience. I will be reimbursed for toiletries and clothes for the few days I was on vacation (a confusing and cumbersome process), but that is not the case upon your return. And you are not compensated for your inconvenience of spending your vacation without your things and the time lost having to replace your clothes and toiletries.

If you are considering taking this flight combination, I would advise you to speak with Delta or Virgin Atlantic directly about this issue first.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,347 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin and Delta Connections: Major Baggage Problem

I think your baggage problems have less to do with Virgin or Delta and is primarily due to recent problems at Heathrow where there has been a lot of delayed/lost bags recently which has been widely reported.

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin and Delta Connections: Major Baggage Problem

Thanks, but the baggage was mishandled at both my layover points rather than at Heathrow.

Employees from the baggage desks and Virgin both confirmed they were having issues with luggage on connections between Delta/Virgin.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin and Delta Connections: Major Baggage Problem

How tight were the connections? Delayed baggage is most common on connecting flights.

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin and Delta Connections: Major Baggage Problem

My layovers were over 2.5 hours each.

Seriously, staff stated this is a problem with the baggage tags/systems not linking up. It's a systematic problem when connecting using the two airlines.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin and Delta Connections: Major Baggage Problem

I don't really understand that, the tags are from the airport and your bag is tagged through to it's destination. The baggage handlers transfer the bags between planes, they are usually in containers or cages. ,any be Gobpi or someone more knowledgeable will come along and explain better.

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin and Delta Connections: Major Baggage Problem

In fact, Virgin--knowing that it has been an issue--called me to the ticketing desk at my layover to make sure they should put the bag on the flight. I confirmed they should. The bag *still* did not make it onto my flight. Virgin confirmed they put it on a flight the next day after I filed the delayed baggage claim.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,954 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin and Delta Connections: Major Baggage Problem

Is your problem with baggage off Virgin Atlantic UK domestic flights not connecting with Delta transatlantic flights at LHR, or with Virgin Atlantic/Delta failing to exchange baggage in the USA? I have a feeling you mean the problem is in the USA, but other responders obviously think you mean it is at LHR.

8. Re: Virgin and Delta Connections: Major Baggage Problem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 06:17