We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smartfares.com

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Smartfares.com

Has anyone received a refund from this company? Their site has a big box saying "Free Cancellations. Cancel anytime within 12 hours for a full refund." I booked with them because I knew I may need to change the flight. When I called the customer service line I was told that I would have to pay $98 for the "difference in fares" Since the new flight would have cost exactly the same amount, I argued. Finally I was told that this was the change fee that the airline charged, and that the "free cancellation" meant that Smartfares.com wouldn't charge anything. Very misleading advertising! In the end the agent agreed to give me a full refund if I cancelled but said that it would take 2 months! I have so little faith in this company that I declined the offer and will take the original flight, three days earlier than I wanted to leave.

37 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,663 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smartfares.com

Recognize that "free cancellations" doesn't mean that you get any money back. It just means the don't charge you anything to cancel. No airline does. It isn't misleading at all. It is poor comprehension unfortunately. Don't assume. Read the details. You still have to pay at least for any airline change fee.

And you should have bought from the airline originally.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smartfares.com

Did you miss the last part "for a full refund?" I understand the semantics but who on earth would charge you to cancel a flight on top of keeping your full booking charge? If that were the case, you wouldn't cancel, you just wouldn't show up for the flight!

And I do usually book directly with airlines ; I was using the site to compare costs and - because of the "free cancellation" notice - assumed that there must be a delay between booking and the ticket being issued. I am literate, and this is misleading advertising. I'd really like to hear from anyone who actually received a refund "within two months" as I was promised. Interestingly, I asked that Smartfares.com to put that promise of a refund in an email to me and they refused .

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,177 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smartfares.com

The "free cancellation" note had an asterisk next to it - and the note said to refer to Terms & Conditions here:

smartfares.com/pages/terms_conditions.aspx

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,975 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smartfares.com

So your idea of checking out a third party booker's full refund pledge is to give them your money and see if they'll refund it? When most people would research the booker first, such as entering smartfares.com in this forum's searchbox. Read away, and think "now why didn't I do that before booking?" - http://bit.ly/1jRAwlE

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
41,746 posts
1,256 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smartfares.com

OK, you get no money back, but at least they do not send people after you, to collect more, for the "free cancellation," right? No strangers knocking on your door at 3AM? The cancellation is free. The refund probably does not exist.

Good luck,

Hunt

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smartfares.com

Smartfares is a joke! The 1st problem I encountered was they advertised "super deals" if you call in and speak with a customer service person. I called and was quoted $200 more than their price listed on the web. I let the person know this and they offered to take $20 off.

I ended up finding a decent flight through them and booked it. I received a booking confirmation number and itinerary. Then I got a message on my voicemail saying they had to cancel the reservation due to having insufficient funds. I knew there was nothing wrong with my card but called my credit card company to verify. I did in fact have plenty of funds to cover the ticket. When I asked Smartfare to rerun the card, that there should be no problems low and behold the fare was no longer available. Can you say Bait and Switch.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
54,902 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smartfares.com

It's common for third parties not to have live pricing. People often find that the advertised fare is no longer available when they try and book it. It's how the vast majority of them work, I'm afraid, Ashley.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smartfares.com

Actually, I've just read the op, I'm surprised anyone would book a ticket if they thought there was a good chance they would need to change it within 12 hours. Why not just wait till you know? It's only 12 hours?

As for Ashley. As Roj says, it's the way most of them work, but the credit card thing is different. Looks like the payment did not go through right away, possibly your bank stopped it as part of routine fraud protection and as such when it was released the fare wasn't available. It happens.

9. Re: Smartfares.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 September 2015, 19:07
Edited: 23 September 2015, 19:07

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
20,261 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smartfares.com

" do not follow Christian ways or the GOLDEN RULE"

___

Please enlighten me as to what this is. I'm not sure any other companies I deal with follow the Christian way..

Reply to: Smartfares.com
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted