We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price Change

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Price Change

Yesterday I put the following itinery into the Emirates web site:-

LGW to HKG 19 Nov Economy Class

HKG to LGW 29 Nov Business Class

They came back with £1,875.00

Today, I put exactly the same flight details through on the same site and they came back with £1,286.00

Can anybody explain how this huge price change has occurred ? I can perhaps, understand ££100 change, but £600 ?

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price Change

A seat from 1 of the lower priced inventories was on hold for a travel agent,not needed and released back.If that is the last seat in that bucket,1st one to grab it will get a bargain.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price Change

What's your concern, unless you bought at the higher price? Of course, if you bought and the price went up, that would be less of a concern. Are you going to buy at the new price?

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price Change

Prices fluctuate all the time and sometimes by a lot .

What I'd say is once you've booked and paid for your ticket stop looking as comparing what is and what could have been is the road to madness?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,719 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price Change

Change your itinerary by a single day can easily mean a $3,000. difference. You just have to be prepared to buy when you see that bargain. (I believe you're actually buying one-way tickets when you change classes like that)

If anyone needs a bargain from California to SE Asia, I just found one last night and purchased it (PM me)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price Change

We should save this thread to show to everyone who believes airlines track your cookies and if you visit a second time put the price up,,,,sigh.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Price Change

Daawgone - as you can see, I didnt change the itinerary at all - it was exactly the same itinerary just the day that I happened to look to make the booking was different.

And yes, I did buy the ticket yesterday at the lower price. But , boy would I have been angry had I purchased it on Wednesday at the higher price

IanMac, you are quite right is your advice to make the purchase and then forget about it, but I guess human nature makes most of us curious. Whilst I agree that prices to fluctuate all the time, a price change of £600 is one hell of a differerence

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price Change

We should save this thread to show to everyone who believes airlines track your cookies and if you visit a second time put the price up,,,,sigh.

====

Though had it been the other way round, it would be conclusive proof of that theory :-)

Lugano, Switzerland
Level Contributor
532 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Price Change

Yield Management is very difficult to explain and understand. The plane is divided into different classes (not only Economy, Business and First, but all these classes are also divided into different classes and different prices). Let's say: if you find the last seat on T class, and the day after it's not available anymore, it could jump to another class and yes, can be 600 more. Sometimes the Y class (the highest economy fare) is even more expensive than the cheapest Business class. Hard to believe.... :)

9. Re: Price Change

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2015, 05:16