We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying after Knee surgery

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
flying after Knee surgery

How soon after Knee replacement can I fly with Monarch from Uk to Majorca

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying after Knee surgery

Best person to ask is your surgeon not strangers on the Internet .

Deb

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,182 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying after Knee surgery

ditto

but as you will not be plastered (sic) the airline will not be concerned.Many airlines have strict rules about flying with a fresh plaster and may require a "fit to travel" letter from a doctor.

SS

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying after Knee surgery

Hi

This can vary from three months onward but the person to ask is your surgeon. The chances of a DVT are extremely high after la leg operation, and the tiny amount of leg room with a charter flight may make this worse.

Call your surgeon's secretary if you have had the operation already and ask her to ask the doctor to write to you, if you are waiting for your operation then ask at the meeting your hospital hopefully will have arranged to discuss the operation or at preassessment.

Good luck

Jackie

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,559 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: flying after Knee surgery

When I had my knee operated on I was told to keep the knee as high as possible - so I figured 39,000' would be high enough

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flying after Knee surgery

British humour at its best

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying after Knee surgery

love Your reply

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,832 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flying after Knee surgery

Ask your doctor. Even a medical professional TA poster wouldn't take the responsibility to tell you without having seen your medical history.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flying after Knee surgery

Maybe this will help. You certainly want to go by what your doctor says. but I personally would not do it til after you've had physical therapy.

Years ago (1991?) i flew about 6 weeks after arthroscopic surgery on knee...but that is NOT major, like your surgery (In fact I did some light hiking in Sedona on that trip. (what i only realized TODAY is that I never had any type of physical therapy. In fact it was done as DAY surgery, went home that night, and the next day I was on crutches with a backpack going to grocery store (yes, probably not smart).

bonesmart.org/forum/…

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flying after Knee surgery

Hi

In the UK physiotherapy starts while you are in hospital, often the day after an OP they have you up and walking with a frame, so there is no time between.

Contact the hospital and ask the surgeon.

Jackie

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
40,356 posts
1,226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flying after Knee surgery

<<When I had my knee operated on I was told to keep the knee as high as possible - so I figured 39,000' would be high enough>>

That is a true LOL moment - thanks.

Hunt