We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ba companion voucher - economy vs premier

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ba companion voucher - economy vs premier

Hi,

I've got the BA companion voucher and my partner and I are planning to use it to travel to Cape Town next year.

I have only 66000 avios at the moment and can easily use those to get economy tickets. I would like to try and book premier economy tickets for this trip but that costs 75000 avios. also I should be able to garner another 9000 points over the next few months but don't want to lose out on the tickets for the dates currently available.

So here's the question:

1. Would you advise me to go ahead and book my economy tickets and try and upgrade later perhaps with avios or cash , not sure which would be cheaper. ?

2. OR I take the risk and wait for a few months and then book the premier economy because it may not be possible to upgrade later ?

hope you understand my dilemma.

Thanks in advance.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ba companion voucher - economy vs premier

I wouldn't use Avios for a long haul WT booking (or a WT+ booking for that matter). You will end up paying a similar amount in taxes and fees.

Thats assuming you get any availability - it tends to be low on flights to RSA.

I would try to get enough Avios for a CW return if you can. Or even Y out, and CW back using the voucher if miles are an issue.

Your best bet is to use your Avios to upgrade a WT+ ticket to CW (though this doesn't make use of your voucher unfortunately). This is going to cost upwards of £1k pp return

When in 2015 are you going? You may be able to pick up some cheaper WT+ tickets in the (potential) December sale

Edited: 17 July 2014, 22:55
Madrid
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ba companion voucher - economy vs premier

Topping up an account in a situation like this is the only time I would consider purchasing avios from BA.If there is a seat available,just go ahead and buy 9000 avios and save on the stress.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ba companion voucher - economy vs premier

Purchase the Avios and book now. I don't use miles for the back cabins but if availability is half as difficult to come by there then you'd be a fool to wait if there's availability now.

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ba companion voucher - economy vs premier

Thanks for your responses.

I am looking to travel in May 2015 next year and the BA companion voucher expired in Jun 2015.

So I will buy the CW tickets by buying an extra set of avios from BA.

5. Re: Ba companion voucher - economy vs premier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 05:16