We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to modify name in flight ticket?

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
How to modify name in flight ticket?

Hello - my wife's name is:

Given Name: XXX YYY

Surname: ZZZ

When booking Air Asia, I gave the "Given Name" as 'XXX' ; Surname as 'YYY' ; missed out the 'ZZZ' completely.

What do I do? Would it be possible to update the name? I have made several other bookings in the same journey with the same airline - but did not make this error in other bookings.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,850 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to modify name in flight ticket?

Welcome to the forum. Unlikely you can change it without re-doing the ticket. Would suggest that you call the airline to see if they can change or at least make a note in the record.

Good luck.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to modify name in flight ticket?

The ticket has to match whatever is on her passport.

Not sure if the name is written out on the passport why you wouldn't just copy whatever was there for the ticket?

You need to call the airline as they will probably charge you a fee to make this change.

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to modify name in flight ticket?

I had the same issue. Called the airline and was advised that I could be denied boarding. Had to cancel the ticket and purchase a new ticket. Yes, it cost more, but probably worth it to alleviate any anxiety.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to modify name in flight ticket?

Here you go - http://bit.ly/1k7gorl

The answer appears to indicate that your change would NOT be allowed, as it's not a straight swap between first name and surname, nor is it a simple typo. But if I were you I'd follow up with Air Asia and ask, as who knows they may be sympathetic.

Edited: 20 July 2014, 03:41
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to modify name in flight ticket?

I would call the airline also, and fast, you will need it changed and she will be denied boarding if you don't. She is booked as mrs xxx yyy and she is mrs xxx zzz. Only mrs xxx yyy can fly with that ticket, mrs xxx zzz doesn't have a ticket for that flight,

What you are effectively doing it transferring the ticket to a different person. Even though the person it's currently booked for doesn't actually exist. I think in all likely hood there will be a cost associated with the change, but you never know, you could hit lucky,

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,542 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to modify name in flight ticket?

"What you are effectively doing it transferring the ticket to a different person."

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the OP but I as I read it, the ticket was bought for his wife and he does not propose to change this. If so, he's not attempting to transfer the ticket.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to modify name in flight ticket?

As far as the airline knows, he is transferring the ticket to a different person. He will have to pay.

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to modify name in flight ticket?

Thanks everyone for your responses. I've written to Air Asia to update the name. Keeping fingers crossed but its most likely I have to redo the booking. Hate it when this happens.

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to modify name in flight ticket?

Lucky me. Air Asia took their time but in the end, I got the name updated without having to pay anything.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,766 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to modify name in flight ticket?

Kadoos to Air Asia, you were very very lucky. I suggest anyone reading this realize that when you are booking online, you read, reread and reread again before hitting submit! If possible have someone else read it too.

And as a retired literacy expert, I would suggest enlarging the screen and pointing to each word with your finger as you do the reading. Our minds go quickly and we skim and feel in words that belong there, but aren't , in reality, there. By actually having to point to the EXACT word before reading it, we are forced to slow down and focus on what is actually written, versus "reading' what you think is written.

AND if you do not believe me ask someone to read the line I've written below. Give them no introduction ( you may read it correctly because of the context of the post)

MEET ME AT THE THE PARK!

How many caught the error? ( from those who had no introduction to topic.