We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air China CA130, 16 Jul 2014, from Busan to Beijing

Singapore
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Air China CA130, 16 Jul 2014, from Busan to Beijing

We were charged USD 70 for a less than 5 kg carton box and was NOT allowed to repack. I will be able to repack to avert the charge. I think this is not acceptable for a star alliance full service airline to render such a service to the customer.

We only got to know that economy class can check in 1 piece of luggage when we were flying from Busan to Beijing. When we flew with Korean Air the previous time to Seoul, we brought back an extra luggage of cosmetics and an extra carton box of Kim Chi that weight between 5 to 10 kg.

Appreciate if anyone can suggest who could I write to or how could I get back the USD 70? I charged the amount to my credit card.

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air China CA130, 16 Jul 2014, from Busan to Beijing

There is nothing you can do. Air China makes it VERY clear on their website:

>>Free checked baggage requirements for Economy Class cabin

Economy Class passengers with adult-fare or child-fare tickets are allowed one pieces of baggage free of charge<<

The fact that you chose not to read your contract is hardly their fault. This is a case of learning by experience.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,322 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air China CA130, 16 Jul 2014, from Busan to Beijing

We only got to know that economy class can check in 1 piece of luggage when we were flying from Busan to Beijing.

========

Well that's entirely your fault for not reading the baggage information BEFORE booking or flying. As T-allover has said, it's right there is you bother to look.

"2. Hawaii routes and all other routes except between China and Japan and to and from the Americas.

Free checked baggage requirements for Economy Class cabin

Economy Class passengers with adult-fare or child-fare tickets are allowed one pieces of baggage free of charge, weighing no more than 23kg and with total linear dimensions not exceeding 158cm."

airchina.co.uk/en/managemytrip/baggageinform…

Consider your $70 a learning experience to read up on baggage rules and terms and conditions before you book. In the big picture, considering how much money others have lost for being similarly careless, your learning "charge" is very cheap.

Edited: 20 July 2014, 02:14
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
883 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air China CA130, 16 Jul 2014, from Busan to Beijing

Now let's see how many others post to say "Bad luck old mate - you should have read your T&Cs....."

It's pretty obvious he's made a blunder - probably no need to remind him any more.

Bad luck EKGOH. Lesson for next time

Cheers

Singapore
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air China CA130, 16 Jul 2014, from Busan to Beijing

Guys, do I have the right to repack the content to avoid the USD70 charge? If not, why?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,322 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air China CA130, 16 Jul 2014, from Busan to Beijing

Guys, do I have the right to repack the content to avoid the USD70 charge? If not, why?

========

Perhaps. It would have been nice had the check in agent allowed that, provided that your repacking did not affect the check in process for other passengers or in any way cause the flight to be delayed. But noone apart from you was there at the time so we can't judge that. At the end of the day it's your responsibility to check and adhere to the baggage rules, so I can't see you getting any refund of the $70.

Singapore
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air China CA130, 16 Jul 2014, from Busan to Beijing

I was the first in queue for the check-in as I arrived early. Don't see why my repacking will delay the flight n any way. We asked whether we can repack in English and was denied.

I am taking the case with Air China for denying me the chance to repack when it is possible without causing delay to the flight and others. I was not asking for refund because of their 1pc luggage restriction.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,542 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air China CA130, 16 Jul 2014, from Busan to Beijing

Hi,

As to the notion of did the OP have the "right" to repack... I don't know..

One can argue that one s/he *presented* the bag to the CA agent that this was the time at which it's measurements were taken.

In a loose comparaoo , if you present your customs declaration to the agent, THEN realize you made a mistake, should you be able to alter it AFTER initial presentation and/or without penalty?

In this case, as the onus is on the pax to be aware of the weight, and I don't see that CA has materially concealed this data, I don't think CA has done anything wrong, nor do they "owe" the passenger the right to repack or otherwise.

Yes, it would be NICE, if they did.. But as the OP uses the word "right", I will say no to that.

Travel Safe,

Singapore
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air China CA130, 16 Jul 2014, from Busan to Beijing

I was fully aware of the weight limit of the luggage but not the quantity limit of 1 pc. I have flown to Seoul on Korean Air economy class before and have no problem checking in an extra luggage plus an extra carton box of Kim Chi.

I stand by my position that the passenger should be given the chance to repack or rearrange his check-in baggage to avoid the charge. In my case, it will not impact the check in process for other passengers or in any way cause the flight to be delayed since I was the first pax in the queue.

Thank you all for your inputs. I appreciate them!

South of England
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air China CA130, 16 Jul 2014, from Busan to Beijing

If you politely asked to take your bag off the check-in scales, move away from check in to try to reorganise and repack your bag before rejoining the checkin queue, then I do think it should have been allowed.

If you decided to argue with the checkin agent over the charge and then tried to reorganise your baggage at the checkin desk therefore holding up others in the queue, then I can see why you may have been charged.

I think often the manner in which people react will get what is deserved.

Singapore
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air China CA130, 16 Jul 2014, from Busan to Beijing

Are you implying that I got what I deserved?

Like I have wrote, we made the request to repack and was denied. The repacking would not impact the flight and the check-in process.

Air China has failed to live up to the expectation required of a full service airline and member of Star Alliance for this area. As a full service airline and member of Star Alliance, Air China should be able and ought to answer passenger's questions and suggest alternatives.