We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheaper to buy Cigarettes @ YYZ or LAX

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Cheaper to buy Cigarettes @ YYZ or LAX

I have a flight from YYZ to LAX to SAN and I was wondering where would it be cheaper to buy a carton of cigarettes. At YYZ a carton of Marlboro is $42 CAD ($39 USD) not sure about the price at LAX as I don't travel to the US that often. What do you guys think?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheaper to buy Cigarettes @ YYZ or LAX

You won't be able to buy duty free cigarettes at LAX if that's what you're thinking, as LAX-SAN is a domestic flight. My guess is the $42C/$39US is going to be way cheaper than the tax paid cigarettes in California. Here in Portland OR (generally regarded as cheaper) a carton is around $55.

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheaper to buy Cigarettes @ YYZ or LAX

Sorry my post wasn't clear. LAX is my layover from YYZ-SAN. I'll be at terminal 4 which has a duty free store. Will I be able to purchase duty free at LAX with this in mind?

Edited: 20 July 2014, 03:44
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,003 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheaper to buy Cigarettes @ YYZ or LAX

Don't think so. Usually to buy duty free you need to show a boarding pass for a flight leaving the country. In your case you are going to be on a domestic flight to San Diego.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheaper to buy Cigarettes @ YYZ or LAX

Frank,

You cannot buy duty free at a US airport for a domestic flight. You must be on an international flight departing that airport. Furthermore as FYI the process for duty free at US airports is that you buy the goods, but the merchant takes them to the boarding gate and you collect them while boarding. A merchant is not going to do that for a domestic flight.

So, it's either duty free departing YYZ, or standard tax paid ciggies in California.

5. Re: Cheaper to buy Cigarettes @ YYZ or LAX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 06:16