We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from JFK to LGA?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,134 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from JFK to LGA?

Hi

I'm travelling to JFK in October arriving at 13.20 with Aer Lingus, my onward flight to Atlanta with Southwest leaves LGA at 20.30. What kind of transfer would be best assuming the Aer Lingus flight is on time and if it is late what would be the minimum time to get across New York.

Thanks

Jackie

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from JFK to LGA?

Might be better to ask on New York forum, but if it was me I would book a town car, so all sorted out.

Plenaty of recommendations on town cars on NY forum, no idea on timings sorry .

Deb

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from JFK to LGA?

Ta xx

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,315 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from JFK to LGA?

YOu have enough time to make your transfer. Figure if you land at 1:30, you should be out of the airport by 3:30 ( immigration and customs may be faster--but it could take this long) Traffic and road construction between the two airports is horrendous. While it theoretically should take no more than 30 minutes, it could take 2-3 times that--or not. So, you are definitely making your flight -:)

The easiest method is just take a yellow taxi from the taxi line. DO NOT accept a ride from any tout who approaches you in the terminal ( but you know that) Alternatively, since you have the time you could take the airporter shuttle

panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airport-connections.…

If you get out of immigration/customs very early, you may want to consider stopping somewhere in Queens for a bite before heading to the airport.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from JFK to LGA?

Hi

I'm arriving via Dublin so will be pre-cleared there.

Jackie

Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from JFK to LGA?

Personally , I'd paid the extra $200 to fly DIRECT to Atlanta, rather than going to customs, grabbing luggage, taking taxi to another airport/LGA, rechecking into airport/airline and flying down to Atlanta.... Your 7hour layover, hassle and time has got to be worth more than the $200-$300 in savings.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from JFK to LGA?

You can also just walk outside the terminal at JFK and grab a taxi that will be waiting there.

I'd expect that every taxi drive would know how to drive from JFK to LGA. I'd leave at least an hour to get there (or more) since you are on a separate ticket and one never knows about traffic.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from JFK to LGA?

Hi

The price difference was way more than that, I am flying out economy but coming home business and although it does seem a bit of a roundabout way to get to Atlanta I wanted fairly short flights with a break in between. Also the pre-clearance at Dublin means I shouldn't be queuing to long and waiting in line for maybe an hour could present problems for me.

Also the journey starts at Gatwick and I live only a five minute walk to a direct train to the airport and I've wangled a free night at the Gatwick Hilton, so with all that and the saving of the best part of £1,000 I am happy to fly this route.

But being a bit thick I forgot to check I would be arriving at the airport I would be flying from.

Jackie

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from JFK to LGA?

" But being a bit thick I forgot to check I would be arriving at the airport I would be flying from."

all adds to the excitement of life's big adventure Jackie!

Is this the trip to see your Son ?

Deb x

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get from JFK to LGA?

Uber

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get from JFK to LGA?

Hi Deb

Yes it's to go for along holiday to see my son, he's just had a promotion and he's got lots of plans for me to see and do stuff.

Adventure here I come

Jackie