We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with Air Canada from Ireland with 1 year old

Ireland
4 posts
Save Topic
Travelling with Air Canada from Ireland with 1 year old

We are 2 adults and 1 baby (14 month's old) travelling from Ireland to Canada next February and we have booked and paid for seat for the baby. My query is do we have to bring a car/booster seat with us for the baby in the seat? Air Canada website is unclear as to if you have to have a car seat for the baby or if you can have the baby in your lap for take off/landing and when seatbelt sign is on. Just wondering if anyone has travelled with Air Canada and knows if a car seat is required or optional? Also if the seat is required, what car seat is suitable that can be purchased in Ireland or do the airline have seats on the plane that we could use?

Would appreciate any help as we are very confused!!!!

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,045 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with Air Canada from Ireland with 1 year old

According to the Air Canada website, an approved child restraint is required.

"An infant for whom a seat is purchased must be properly secured in an approved child restraint device (see ‘Child restraint policy' below)."

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/before/youngtravellers/infant-child.html#restraintpolicyfaq:2-*

There is a whole detailed policy regarding which seats can be used. I don't know if you can buy one approved by the US or Transport Canada in Ireland, but you should be able to get a CARES harness. I'd think you could buy one approved by the US or Transport Canada on amazon though.

Not using a child restraint would defeat the main purpose of buying a seat (IMO), which is the safety of the child.

ETA: Copy and paste that link. It's apparently too long for TA.

Edited: 20 July 2014, 23:45
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,191 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with Air Canada from Ireland with 1 year old

I can tell you they do not provide the seat for you. That's up to you to bring that.

Despite what the policy says (and remember they are writing that from the Canadian perspective), any good quality seat of the type typically sold in Europe would I am sure be fine. It's not like the FA's are going to start examining the labels on it.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,045 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with Air Canada from Ireland with 1 year old

They used to check my daughter's at check in (to see if it was labelled right). Then they put an airline sticker on it so it was easy to tell it was approved. Although that wasn't with Air Canada and said daughter is now 16, so it wasn't recent either.

4. Re: Travelling with Air Canada from Ireland with 1 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 06:16