We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with a 15 month old Australia to Ireland

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with a 15 month old Australia to Ireland

Hi

In three weeks im travelling with my 15month old to Ireland from Australia (stopping over half way each time). Longest trip is 14hour at night the next length 8 hours during the day same there and back.

Any tips on how to keep a very active 15 month old happy so im not that family that others are cursing.

Some have told me to try Phenergan but im not really comfortable with that are there any natural alternative?

If you have travelling with a toddler before, what did you pack for onboard, how did you keep them busy and distracted enough to not cause them to be upset or bored.

Any tips would be great!

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,520 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with a 15 month old Australia to Ireland

Phenergan? For a 15 month old? Maybe phenergan is different in Australia than here, but regardless of the medication, I wouldn't drug my child for a flight.

Did you buy him/her a seat?

I'd try to ensure they were really tired before the 14 hour flight so they'll sleep. (Hopefully it corresponds with bedtime.) Kids that age mostly can sleep through anything. Even through people trying to wake them up!

Are you the only adult traveling? It would be easier with 2 of you. When I flew with my daughter at that age, I just figured I'd have to entertain continuously for the whole flight, but they were never that long. Make sure you bring plenty of snacks so you're not relying on airplane food. Bring something to suck on or chew for takeoff and landing. If you're alone, I'd probably bring caffeinated beverages for me to stay awake if my child didn't sleep...

I always found somewhere during the stops for her to run around, but again, our stops were longer in comparison to our flights as they were all domestic.

As far as entertainment, I guess it depends on what entertains your child. I read books to my daughter, but now people mostly seem to use phones and ipads to entertain kids.

In general, I don't think people get upset with kids unless their parents don't seem to be trying to do anything to entertain them. Well, probably some people do, but then they shouldn't be on public transportation.

Good luck!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with a 15 month old Australia to Ireland

The key questions here are did you buy your child a seat and are you flying solo with your child or is there another adult with you?

The answer to those two questions are going to dictate how you handle this journey.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
481 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with a 15 month old Australia to Ireland

Hell no to Phernergan. I take it but I'm an adult, hell no for a child. At most, pack baby paradol but don't drug your LO unless she needs it.

Pack her fav comfort toy and snacks and don't be afraid to let her squeal or play on the floor.

It's nice you want to be a considerate traveller for others but babies are unpredictable.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with a 15 month old Australia to Ireland

Thanks guys that what thought about phenergan just really worries me how many ppl suggested it!

My husband n I n no seat request bassinet seats (my son very little below 10kg max)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with a 15 month old Australia to Ireland

Ok, tough if you are doing lap baby and really not the safest option for him, As there is two of you at least you can share the load.

Can you not buy him a seat? 14 hours straight on one or other of yours lap is going to be painful for all concerned, inc your child.

You can't really put him on the floor, not unless it's at your feet, and that's not really very nice. He can't play in the aisle, the cabin crew would not or should not allow it.

If I was you I would rethink this and buy him a seat, holding a 15 month old on your lap during heavy turbulence will be dangerous, children have been hurt this way, and even if you don't, hopefully, encounter heavy turbulence, it's a hell of a long time to hold your child on your lap for. I doubt he is going to be happy about that at all. Nor will you several hours in.

Hopefully you gave been able to book a bank of seats where there is just two, because if you have a third person next to you, that's going to be horrible as well.

Sorry, I can't be more positive about the decision to go lap baby over this distance. It only works pretty much on short haul flights. Whatever you do, don't drug him, you don't know how he will react. Honestly, animals get treated better. Buy him his own seat, he needs it just as much as you do,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
481 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling with a 15 month old Australia to Ireland

Last year I was in a Sing >Syd flight and a woman travelling alone with baby would bring the baby to our bulk head area/exit door and baby would play for about 15mins, crawling around and tried to play with my shoes. Baby was not in the way and mum was ok with potential germs.

She had the middle bulk head seat with bassinet.

I think it's a matter of pick your battles, let baby roam when it's safe to (by memory during meal service so people weren't in the aisles.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,018 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling with a 15 month old Australia to Ireland

Buy your son a seat and use a securing harness, like a Cares. He's safety strapped in but still has his own space without having someone's (even if it is mums) hands restraining him all the time. I can't think many active toddlers would be pleased to be held on a lap for so many hours. It wouldn't be easy for you, and it will be even worse for him. It's not safe to let him be on the floor (or anywhere where he's not restrained) in case there's sudden turbulence, and if you get bumpy flight holding him would be even harder.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,796 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling with a 15 month old Australia to Ireland

I have to agree, buy him a seat and secure him in it. It is the safest method for a child to fly. Children have ben injured when they became flying projectiles in turbulent planes. Also, more comfortable for all. My niece ( now 2.5 years) has made 5 trips back and forth between JFK and TLV. ( 10.75 hours one way and 11. 75 hours the other) She rides in her own car seat and usually conks out on the flight. Her parents plan a flight that best parallels her bedtime. They also come with a loaded ipad of Dora the explorer etc.

I can't see letting a child play on the floor. During meal times the service cart needs the aisle space and during other times passengers are moving about. To expect everyone to step over your child without someone tripping or your child getting hurt is asking a lot. Most people are not looking for a crawling toddler.

In terms of drugging your baby..... no way now how!

uk
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling with a 15 month old Australia to Ireland

I've flown a lot with my daughter who is now nearly two. Our longest recent trip was to West Coast USA from the UK when she was 18 months old.

Firstly, it isn't going to be fun for you. You don't say which airline you are flying with and while you may have requested a bassinet, the chances of your 15 month old actually fitting in one is pretty slim, regardless of the weight limitations. My daughter stopped fitting the bassinet when she was around 9 months old.

We're lucky enough to have done our long haul travel in business class and on our recent trips there have been spare seats but mu daughter doesn't really do sitting still so the only time you really get any respite is when they are sleeping. If your child doesn't fit in the bassinet, which I doubt they will, you'll end up with them sleeping across you, which means you're going to be pinned in, believe me once they fall asleep, you won't want to risk waking them.

Bring lots of varied 'distractions' books, stickers work very well IME, toys, Ipads loaded with games and TV programmes, snacks etc. Plan on doing lots of laps of the plane with the child.

I usually find the cabin crew helpful and have spent quite a lot of time in the rear galley of the plane chatting to them to while away some of the time.

Try and tire out your child before getting on the plane. We've never take a stroller through an airport, we used a baby carrier when she was small and ever since she started walking, she has walked most of the way herself - uses up a lot of energy.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling with a 15 month old Australia to Ireland

Have done this exact flight except our child was just three. The hardest thing for us was finally arriving in Ireland and the hire car booking being stuffed up, delaying us at the airport just when the little one thought we were finished.

I'm also anti-phenergan for kids. Best thing we did was imitate home routine as much as possible. Try to fly overnight, bring pj's, do the bedtime routine you usually do. Avoid kids meals as they are ninety percent sugar and ten percent food colouring.

Most of all, don't stress if your child doesn't sleep. Go with the flow, play silly games, do whatever it takes.

If there's any way you can afford it, a separate seat for the babe is far, far safer and you stand a greater chance of arriving sane.

Good luck!