We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free purchase in BHX if transferring in Dublin to US?

England
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Duty free purchase in BHX if transferring in Dublin to US?

Hi there. I have searched the forum and Dublin airport website but still have no definite answer, can anybody help please?

We will be flying from Birmingham via Dublin to US. Can we purchase alcohol in BHX and take it through pre-clearance and customs in Dublin without being confiscated? I believe we won't be able to buy anything in Dublin after clearance as we will be considered a domestic flight.

Is there a duty free we can access in Dublin before pre-clearance- sooo confused.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free purchase in BHX if transferring in Dublin to US?

Wait and purchase in Dublin duty Free. this will only work if you don't have a connecting flight in the US as you won't have access to your bags at your arrival city.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free purchase in BHX if transferring in Dublin to US?

Yep duty free purchase at Dublin is the smart option, notice from previous post that you are expecting 1hr 40mins stop at DUB and they like you at pre-clearance 45mins before flight which leaves you with ample time to shop there

England
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free purchase in BHX if transferring in Dublin to US?

Great thanks,no connecting flight in the US so should be fine to use Duty freein Dublin time permitting but no great disaster if not.

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty free purchase in BHX if transferring in Dublin to US?

I travelled MAN-DUB-BOS last May and purchased duty free alcohol and perfume in MAN, had no problems in Dublin, apart from my brother dropping and smashing a bottle of Jamesons in Dublin airport so just bought some more.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty free purchase in BHX if transferring in Dublin to US?

And that's a good reason why you don't buy it in another country, incidentally why would you buy whiskey in Manchester when it is distilled and readily available in Ireland?

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty free purchase in BHX if transferring in Dublin to US?

I was replying to the OP's question about whether they could purchase Duty Free in BHX, I personally didn't buy the whiskey, I bought other alcohol as it was on offer, and I didn't spill a drop........ok?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty free purchase in BHX if transferring in Dublin to US?

Have people actually done this?

I've been through pre-clearance and after immigration/customs there's another bag/security scan & check. Would alcohol not be confiscated there?

8. Re: Duty free purchase in BHX if transferring in Dublin to US?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 06:17