We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeping to Australia

Ryde, United Kingdom
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sleeping to Australia

Looking to book a trip for my 80 year old mother to my sister's in Australia. She's done it economy before but doesn't think she can cope with 24 hours with no sleep any longer. Business class is far too expensive but my sister is picking up the tab to upgrade her if we can find a premium economy that is actually worth the extra money. She needs a seat that will lay down as far as possible. Anyone had any experience of a decent halfway house cost flight to Aus where they could actually sleep?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleeping to Australia

I don't know of any premium economy seat that is close to lie flat. Maybe someone else will.

Have you tried looking at the descriptions of the seats on possible airlines on the airline webpages, or on seatguru.com?

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleeping to Australia

I don't think any of the premium economy seats will do any more than give her some extra room and perhaps a slightly greater recline.

What about:

1. Premium economy, perhaps Cathay, with a one-day stopover, or even overnight, in Hong Kong. I've just done this and felt much better, even staying in the airport hotel.

2, Some lesser airlines, such as Vietnam Airlines, offer a cheaper business class fare. Have a look on skyscanner

Ryde, United Kingdom
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sleeping to Australia

Doesn't have to be completely flat, I know that would be the full cost of business, just a seat that gives you more than the usual economy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sleeping to Australia

Ok, premium economy is economy plus, not business minus. By it's very definition they all provide more than economy, normally an extra Couple of inches or more and wider seats.

Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sleeping to Australia

''Ok, premium economy is economy plus, not business minus''

That made me laugh Froggy, good definition.

But your mum is really not going to get much in the way of an large recline in economy plus, enhanced economy, premium economy or whatever the airlines differentiate by calling it., compared to business.

Typically 36 to 38 ins is offered in enhanced (as opposed to an average of 32ins, some more some less...) and better catering on board and maybe better ground services ie priority boarding but thats about it really, not a patch on business, but then your not paying business prices for a reason.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,744 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sleeping to Australia

They only fly as far as Hong Kong now but VA have pretty comfortable seats in Premium Economy IMHO. We flew PE last year to Cape Town and DH managed a good few hours sleep that he never does when we are in Economy. I don't sleep even when I have been in Upper but was able to doze on and off. We certainly felt better when we got off the plane than the times we did the same route in Economy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sleeping to Australia

>>That made me laugh Froggy, good definition.<<

Not my work, quite a commonly used definition on here when the question comes up:-))

Ryde, United Kingdom
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sleeping to Australia

Looks like I might have to find the cheapest business class instead!

S M
Merseyside
Level Contributor
600 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sleeping to Australia

Where in Aus is she travelling to?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
882 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sleeping to Australia

China Eastern has some fantastic full business class fares between the UK and Australia at the moment