We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dfw to Flr via Lhr

Dallas, Tejas
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dfw to Flr via Lhr

First time I will be just passing through LHR on way to Florence.

Do we pass through Immigration? Security?

Is the American Airlines terminal different from Alitalia? Probably not alphabetic eh ;)

How long will it take to get from one terminal to the other?

Is there an Admiral's Club at the Alitalia Terminal?

Thanks for any help and insights anyone can offer.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,777 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dfw to Flr via Lhr

AA use T3 at LHR and Alitalia use T4. The recommended MCT for your connection is 90 minutes, you'll pass through security but no immigration as you are simply in transit, see link for more info.

I doubt there will be an Admirals Club at T4 as AA don't use that terminal although there might be a partner lounge.

heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/f…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,375 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dfw to Flr via Lhr

Immigration - no

Security - yes

American Airlines - Terminal 3

Alitalia - Terminal 4

Time between two - allow 90mins

There is no Admirals Club you can use in Terminal 4 and you cannot access the airside portion of Terminal 3 departures if you are leaving from Terminal 4. Only lounge access will be if you are flying business class on AZ.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,597 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dfw to Flr via Lhr

Are these flights booked on one ticket, or separate? Usually when you connect from AA to to mainland Europe at Heathrow it's to BA.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 20:07
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dfw to Flr via Lhr

"Usually when you connect from AA to to mainland Europe at Heathrow it's to BA"

Agreed, however I've been checking that itinerary for a trip we're planning and the only direct flights operated by BA or their subsidiaries to FLR are out of LCY. FLR is a smaller airport and the type of aircraft that are able to utilize it is limited.

Dallas, Tejas
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dfw to Flr via Lhr

Thanks y'all.

The trip is becoming a bit of a cluster....

We bought business class tickets DFW to LHR waaay back in April/May? We were originally going to Scotland then we realised, doh, that it will be cold and wet. Hence the change to FLR and the fact that we did not have connecting flight booked with first leg.

What about London City Airport? That's in the City right? Hard to get to?

Thanks again.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,597 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dfw to Flr via Lhr

With separate tickets you have all the associated risks of failing to make check in, bag drop or boarding, and the fact that your bags won't be through checked (you'll have to collect them at Heathrow which means going land side and making a land side transfer to T4). Miss the AZ flight and you could have your ticket canceled. Although if your booked a fully flexible ticket in business class for LHR-FLR you'd be okay.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g41707-c207311/Newton…

London City is to the east of London and it takes about 1.5 hours by public transport from Heathrow (tube and DLR). You'd still be on separate tickets though, although BA may be forgiving if you were delayed by an inbound AA (OneWorld partner) flight. I'd personally book a flight on BA from Heathrow to Italy and make your way to Florence by ground (eg train). An AA to BA "connection" at Heathrow would be protected by the AA/OneWorld policy, and your bags would be checked through, though I'd still want 3-4 hours at LHR just in case - aa.com/i18n/…oneworld_tkt_policy.jsp

Dallas, Tejas
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dfw to Flr via Lhr

Thanks for the warning and the link.

Methinks I have to rethink this whole shebang....

PM

8. Re: Dfw to Flr via Lhr

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 05:35
9. Re: Dfw to Flr via Lhr

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 07:35
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dfw to Flr via Lhr

Another option would be flying into MXP (Milan) rather than FLR. It's a bigger airport and BA shows 3 flights a day out of LHR. It's only about 11/2 hours or so by train to Florence.