We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short connection time for international flight

Saint Louis...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
short connection time for international flight

Hi -- I also posted this question in the Newark travel forum, sorry to be redundant:

I booked a flight to Milan and with a stop in Newark. Unfortunately, I only just noticed that the connection time is only 53 minutes. I wish I could make a change to my flight to give me some more time, but I really can't afford the additional $200 fee. I'm young and spry and tend to travel light, so I'm really hoping I can sprint to my gate within the time frame...only this is an international flight, so I'm super freaked that I won't.

Considering that airlines/airports are supposed to have some legal/minimum connection time between flights, do you think I can rest assured that worst case scenario - I miss my flight to Milan and they'll do what they can to get me to my destination ASAP at no extra charge? Is it possible to get an agent at the airline kiosk to make a note or something in the flight records that says "please don't leave her behind, she has a tight connection!" or ask them to book one of those carts that can speed over to my gate to save some time? Just wondering if there's anything I can do to help my chances of making my flight on time!

London, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: short connection time for international flight

If the flight to Newark is on a single ticket then it should be ok. Even if you miss your connection, they will put you on the next flight for free. If the two flights are on two separate tickets then you might get into trouble if you miss your connection.

General things you can do to speed up your connection would include:

1. Check in for both flights at your point of departure ie get boarding passes for both flights

2. Check in your luggage to the final destination

3. Find out your connecting gate before the plane lands

4. Seat near the exit and be ready to move the moment the seat belt sign is turned off

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,274 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: short connection time for international flight

Usually there is only 1 flight per day to a place like Milan from Newark. So definitely check that.

IF you only just booked the flight call the airline immediately and they can change the ticket for you!! International flights start boarding 1 hour before take off so not sure how it will be if you arrive even 20min. late on your flight!

Call the airline now!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
39,575 posts
1,135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: short connection time for international flight

<<3. Find out your connecting gate before the plane lands>>

Along with this, print out a map of EWR, and mark the gates where you are *likely* to arrive, and *likely* to depart. formulate a plan on getting from A to B.

I also like the app Flight Tracker Pro (seems that it was about US$ 1.99?) to tell me with even greater certitude where a flight will arrive, and where the next will depart. Some airline apps will do that for you, as well.

Last, discuss your flights/connections with a FA, well before they begin their landing preparations - when they are not quite so busy. Often, they can get gate info, and especially if you are flying on their airline. Some times, they will request that pax, with long connections, or who are arriving at their destination, wait until pax with tight connections have deplaned. Last week such requests were made on three of our flights, and most folk are more than happy to just sit for a moment, allowing those with tight connections to deplane first.

Good luck,

Hunt

Saint Louis...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: short connection time for international flight

Thanks so much for your suggestions! I called customer service, they told me that the minimum connecting time for domestic to international is 75 minutes in Newark (Dear United Airlines: WHY would you allow for a flight that doesn't meet that minimum? *eye roll* ) but they were super helpful and re-booked my flight at no additional cost. I now have 2 hours (hooray!!) to connect. The downside is that my connect time for Chicago --> Newark has been reduced to 44 minutes. :-/ but they said it should be fine, domestic to domestic. (I'm going from St. Louis -> Chicago -> Newark -> Milan). I shall take all of these suggestions and make sure I apply them to Chicago-.Newark now, b/c despite their assurance that 44 minutes would be sufficient, I don't want to take any chances. Still, I would definitely prefer to rush with a domestic flight than an international one!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: short connection time for international flight

They won't necessarily put you on "the next flight." They'd put you on the next flight with available seats, at no additional charge. Once at IAD we had to wait for a couple of full flights to BOS depart until we could get on one.

6. Re: short connection time for international flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 06:16