We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline "credit" for flight I cancelled.

Manhattan, Kansas
2 posts
Save Topic
Airline "credit" for flight I cancelled.

I cancelled a trip recently on AirTran and they issued me a "credit" after deducting change/cancellation fee. Because this was a non refundable ticket with change/cancellation fee, they say I must use the credit for travel on their airline (or Southwest). I want the refund since I paid a fee to cancel. Is there anyway to do that? Of course, I realize the cancellation fees are nonrefundable.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,273 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airline "credit" for flight I cancelled.

What part of non refundable is hard to understand?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,220 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airline "credit" for flight I cancelled.

You should be happy you get a credit to use on another flight.

You won't get cash! Airlines don't do that and not all will give you the credit so be happy with what you have gotten!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,822 posts
1,307 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airline "credit" for flight I cancelled.

<<You should be happy you get a credit to use on another flight.>>

I agree completely. Getting something is more than I would have expected.

On SWA, we almost always buy the Business Select tickets, as we too often do have to alter the travel plans, and those provide flexibility.

To the OP, I would graciously accept the offer/certificate, and plan on using it, within the time limit.

Good luck,

Hunt

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Airline "credit" for flight I cancelled.

I'm having trouble with:

"...this was a non refundable ticket with change/cancellation fee..."

"...I want the refund since I paid a fee to cancel..."

"...Of course, I realize the cancellation fees are nonrefundable."

Do you mean that the ticket itself was non-refundable, or was the ticket refundable with non-refundable cancellation fees?

If the ticket was refundable then you should get a refund minus the cancellation fee. If the ticket was non-refundable then you're probably SOL and should take the credit.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,508 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airline "credit" for flight I cancelled.

Nope, with non-refundable tickets, even after the cancellation fee, all you get is a credit, not a refund.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airline "credit" for flight I cancelled.

The fee that you paid to cancel your flight did not convert your non-refundable ticket into a refundable ticket. The fee you paid permitted you to actually retain some value from your non-refundable ticket to be used at another time with the airline you originally booked.

Normally the word "non-refundable" means that if you do not take advantage of what you purchased you simply lose that service. It applies to airline tickets, theatre tickets, tickets to sporting events, some types of holiday events, and even the purchase of merchandise.

I agree that you were lucky to preserve some value from your original ticket. The argument that you should receive a cash refund because you paid a cancellation fee is a fallacy.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airline "credit" for flight I cancelled.

Is there anyway to do that?

------

No.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airline "credit" for flight I cancelled.

"non-refundable"

adjective

Definition - (especially of a sum of money paid) not repayable or returnable in any circumstances.

Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airline "credit" for flight I cancelled.

Non-refundable means that there is no refund if you cancel.

Many airlines only issue credits on any ticket, so you are very lucky to get a credit on a non-refundable ticket.

Manhattan, Kansas
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Airline "credit" for flight I cancelled.

Thanks for all your input. Poor old Grannie needs some help once in awhile!