We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checking-in

Nova Gorica...
Level Contributor
7 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Checking-in

Hi there,

we're travelling to Germany in a few weeks from now and I'm just wondering...

Is there any difference between online check-in and airport check-in?

Does Germanwings put people in a group on seats together or does it randomly distribute them? (Lufthansa did on previous flights when checking-in online)

Considering I have checked baggage to drop off, does it make any difference which way of checking-in I pick (I don't think there's a specific drop-off counter at the airport) and I've also reserved a seat already.

Thanks in advance

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,744 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checking-in

The reason we do online check-in is that we can confirm the seats we have "reserved" and it lets the airline know you are intending to fly. I would do it if you can.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Checking-in

Check in on line and do bag drop at airport, it ensures you have slightly less chance of being bumped if the flight is oversold and also gives you less chance your seats will be reallocated so someone who requests them.

Nova Gorica...
Level Contributor
7 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checking-in

How can an airline overbook a flight? Don't they keep track of how many people are on?

We would arrive to the airport at least 2h before scheduled departure so I don't think any people on reserve would get our places...

But thanks, I'll probably do online check-in :)

Do you have any experience with using mobile apps for checkin-in and storing boarding passes? Probably a no-go, right?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,416 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Checking-in

We would arrive to the airport at least 2h before scheduled departure so I don't think any people on reserve would get our places...

-----------------

Well all the people who've OLCI'd earlier could have done. I don't understand the reluctance. It doesn't cost any more, signals you intend flying, and lets you see if there are any last minute changes that you've missed via email or phone.

Probably a no-go, right?

---------------------

Don't know what you mean, Many airlines have been doing this for years and many more are doing so. If Germanwings offer it and you have the app, what would be a no-go (other than forgetting or losing your phone at the last minute).

Many airlines routlinely overbook as there are a number of no shows on the day (don't know if German Wings does or not) so it is nearly always better to check in earlier than later as it should help being bumped.

Edited: 27 July 2014, 14:46
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Checking-in

How can an airline overbook a flight? Don't they keep track of how many people are on?

------

Yes, and they will routinely overbook. Let's say that the plane seats 300 and that if full, typically 10 of those 300 people won't turn up for whatever reasons (late, ill, change of plans, whatever). So they might sell 305 seats which normally means they actually sold 310 tickets instead if 300 and still everyone flew. One day, everyone turns up. Some people will then get bumped because 310 doesn't go into 305. These are least likely to be the ones that checked in already, eg did OLCI as they will more likely bump people who haven't shown an inclination to fly.

There are other reasons to OLCI. Sometimes there are equipment changes and seats get changed or unbooked. If you OLCI you can reassign your seats. Perhaps better seats become available, you can book those.

Finally,sometimes third parties or the airline just mess up your booking. Maybe they have no record of you on the flight. What's best, discover this 24 hours before you fly, or when you are at the airport with only a couple hours to go?

End result, there is no downside, and lots of upside, to OLCI.

Nova Gorica...
Level Contributor
7 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Checking-in

>Don't know what you mean, Many airlines have been doing this for years and many more are doing so. If Germanwings offer it and you have the app, what would be a no-go (other than forgetting or losing your phone at the last minute).

How about if the app is not completely bug-free or would require roaming in a foreign country to display the booking? That could potentially get you to not fly at the end of the day, right?

Thanks for the great tips so far though :-)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Checking-in

How about if the app is not completely bug-free or would require roaming in a foreign country to display the booking? That could potentially get you to not fly at the end of the day, right?

----

I don't see why. If it's buggy and you can't OLCI, you won't. If you don't have access to roaming or wifi, you can't. It doesn't matter how you DONT check in :-)

Nova Gorica...
Level Contributor
7 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Checking-in

@joeintheuk: What I meant by that is like this:

-you check in at home, confirm everything is fine

-you go to the airport without any roaming

-you find out the app needs roaming to show the boarding pass

Although as it seems so far the app should download it to the phone, but I can't say for sure yet.

---

Does anyone have any experience with using a mobile app for group bookings? Does it display all passengers in it or just one (specifically interested in Germanwings or Lufthansa if they run it almost the same)?

Thanks again!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Checking-in

@joeintheuk: What I meant by that is like this:

....... -you find out the app needs roaming to show the boarding pass

-------

I think that's very unlikely, the apps I've used (only a couple but I don't see why the others would be different ) let you download the boarding pass to your phone. You could be in flight mode and still display it.

Also don't forget there is a difference between checking in and printing a boarding pass. You can do the first without doing the second. If it's an airline that charges you if you haven't printed a boarding pass I'd always take a paper one as backup. If it's not, it doesn't matter they will just print another one out. But you are still checked in anyway.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,602 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Checking-in

Joe is correct - you can download your boarding pass on the BA mobile app so even if you don't have any network connectivity you can still access your boarding pass.

Edited: 27 July 2014, 19:28