We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA package hotel & flights reviews

Donegal Ireland
Level Contributor
288 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
BA package hotel & flights reviews

Hi has anyone any reviews on British airways package holidays to NYC From uk/Ireland, anyone bought there package holidays with flights and hotel, what's your reviews? Thanks in advance 😉

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,420 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA package hotel & flights reviews

I've booked some BA packages though not to NYC where I can generally get a better price booking separately (not always the case, depends on location). The flight is just another flight, plenty of reviews on airlinequality and others, the hotel you can look for reviews on TA, booking.com, expedia etc. etc.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
441 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA package hotel & flights reviews

I did a trip with BA in February as never travelled to the US before, everything was fine, no issues whatsoever. One thing I would say is that if you find a package you like look at booking the flight and hotel separately too as you may find it works out cheaper.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA package hotel & flights reviews

Pretty much every time I have booked a flight and hotel package on BA.com, it has been cheaper than buying flight and hotel separately.

One thing to note though - if you collect hotel reward points, you usually forfeit these if you book through a third party (e.g. you only get Hilton hhonors points if you book via the Hilton website)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA package hotel & flights reviews

Intrepid is absolutely correct.

It's the packaging of seasonal wholesale inventory, (which is why there are usually limited dates available) so it should be always cheaper.

The products should be very reliable in terms of rates and reservations, and the only caution is to be sure you read the T&C carefully. As it is a seasonal and heavily discounted product, it regularly comes with very strict conditions attached.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA package hotel & flights reviews

I've always found it cheaper to book BA flights and hotel as a package to the US but it could depend on other factors like the city and time of year.

For example a flight only which doesn't have a Saturday night stay could be extortionate but when you book it as a package , these restrictions are removed and the deal could work out even cheaper than the flights only.

Sorry I don't have an example of a trip to NYC. However a package we booked with BA to Boston had a room with the title 'Run of House'. We ended up with a beautiful suite which was amazing. My sister got a great deal to Vegas which was midweek and cheaper than flight only.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA package hotel & flights reviews

Some good points by Helshaw.

Although these packages are seasonal, it comes with conditions TO the hotel also.

Usually when hotels 'bid' a seasonal offer via wholesale, they must allow certain number of rooms over those dates and can't 'blackout' dates inbetween. Which can create situations where they maybe sold out through other distribution channels on a given date, it may still be available as a package.

Also, there's a couple of misconceptions when people read 'Run of House'. It is stated by the hotels as a default, but doesn't necessarily mean that the guest will get the worst rooms. It all depends on how quickly any given room type is selling during a set period, and also comes down to available room type on the day. So whilst it doesn't happen often, getting a room type higher than booked is quite possible.

Edited: 27 July 2014, 19:30
Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: BA package hotel & flights reviews

Have done this a few times to the US and will be doing it again. You may be able to save a bit of money sometimes if you book separately. but I like the fact that they are all booked on one booking.

This helped a few years ago when flights to the US were cancelled due to the volcanic dust, we had a trip with BA that included a hotel in Boston. As the whole booking was with BA, the flight and hotel were changed at the same time with no penalty, it actually worked out better for us timing wise. Like most i would have booked non refund with hotel direct, so would have lost that money, maybe travel insurance, but had no need.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA package hotel & flights reviews

I had similar with a hotel in Vienna last winter, very heavy fog in Heathrow, ended up with the flight cancelled, one phone call and got a full refund, plus the whole thing was >>substantially<< cheaper than booking separately.

That didn't apply to all hotels I looked at, some there was only a small saving, but given my past experience I'd still book it all through BA again, for simplicity, plus had I claimed the hotel separately on my insurance I'd have been down the cost of the excess.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,246 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA package hotel & flights reviews

Have used The BA flights/hotel packages to the Caribbean and have made some useful savings. Not on all hotels though. The best deals seem to be in the BA sales.

Definitely worth checking out.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA package hotel & flights reviews

Hi Again not to NY but booked last year for flights to Chicago and Green Bay plus hotels and it was substantially cheaper than booking independently which is what we usually do. Hotels were very good as well.