We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates Change Flight Paths over Iraq

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Emirates Change Flight Paths over Iraq

Daily Mail is reporting that Emirates are stopping flights over Iraqi airspace due to MH17 missile strike in Ukraine

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2708096/Major-i…

Obviously hasn't started yet however as Flightradar24 are still showing flights in Iraqi airspace.

Edited: 28 July 2014, 14:12
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,048 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emirates Change Flight Paths over Iraq

Been flying this route for years and even during the two Iraq wars EK continued to fly over the north of Iraq - Mosul.

So now they decide to change their flight path?

Edited: 28 July 2014, 15:32
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,846 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Emirates Change Flight Paths over Iraq

Emirates are already rerouting some of the flights, but have said it will take a few days to get the rerouting complete.

More airlines may follow

travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2014/07/28/48799…

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,048 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emirates Change Flight Paths over Iraq

Yes it seems that it's Mosul that's the problem. Its a key ISIS stronghold.

liverpool
Level Contributor
44 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Emirates Change Flight Paths over Iraq

What are our rights as travellers, I am travelling with Qantas to Dubai who have refused to stop flying over Iraq, the flight is a an EK flight number but operated by Qantas. I want to change over and want to know if this a legal requirement by the traveller.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,343 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Emirates Change Flight Paths over Iraq

I have also been made aware that Singapore Airlines have now re-routed their flight path away from Ukraine airspace

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Emirates Change Flight Paths over Iraq

>>I want to change over and want to know if this a legal requirement by the traveller.<<

I assume you are asking if you have any legal right to change (for no cost) to another flight or Emirates operated flight, as Qantas are routed over Iraq.

The answer here is no, but that does not mean you cannot try. Qantas have made it very clear in todays news that they have no intention of re-routing their Dubai-london path.

I understand the worry here by some travellers, however airlines all abide by Internationally and professionally set parameters, this includes no-fly zones. Putting it into perspective, more airliners have been shot down while flying over non-war zones than over war zones themselves.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,561 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Emirates Change Flight Paths over Iraq

You are still thousands of times more likely to be killed in a car crash on the way to the airport than in the plane. As horrific as the Ukraine crash was, it's not worth worrying about it happening to you on your flight as the odds are negligible.

8. Re: Emirates Change Flight Paths over Iraq

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 05:16