We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best search engine for flex dates / Low-cost airlines/Oz-Eur

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
220 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Best search engine for flex dates / Low-cost airlines/Oz-Eur

I'm searching for flights from Melbourne to Europe during the Sept-Oct Australian school holidays, but I'm flexible about the specific dates and don't mind stopovers. The flexible date search on Kayak does a great job displaying 2-3 weeks of airfares in a matrix, but excludes some of the low-cost airlines that might get us half-way to Europe for much less money.

Can anyone suggest a search strategy or search engine that might help?

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
220 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best search engine for flex dates / Low-cost airlines/Oz-Eur

Google flights is very neat. But it doesn't seem to include the low-cost airlines -- Air Asia, Scoot, etc. Am I wrong about that? If not, is there a similar search engine that does include those?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best search engine for flex dates / Low-cost airlines/Oz-Eur

Try skyscanner

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,928 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best search engine for flex dates / Low-cost airlines/Oz-Eur

@Overhear ITA software does not include the LCCs, that is correct. To ensure you minimise your risks with LCCs, try not to do a connecting flight on the same day. The trick is to use something like skyscanner to find your Oz connections to Singapore, KL or Bangkok, and then use ITA software to find the major airlines.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
220 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best search engine for flex dates / Low-cost airlines/Oz-Eur

Ah, I see. Skyscanner has the flexible date search buried in the date selection screen.

There are instructions on how to use flexible date search here: skyscanner.net/news/search-tips-and-tools-wh…

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,495 posts
409 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best search engine for flex dates / Low-cost airlines/Oz-Eur

I use Skyscanner often, what I like is the ability to create alerts and you get an email when price goes up or down. But Skyscanner doesn't have the multicity search, in which case I use Yapta (Kayak) as it also allow alerts when the price fall below a preset level. When the alert comes in, I checked the airline sites and they are correct all the time. That way I won't have to sit in front of the computer to check prices all the time.

ITA matrix does not have alert feature yet, but with Google anything can happens!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best search engine for flex dates / Low-cost airlines/Oz-Eur

As she wants to do basically two trips - one to Asia then one onto Europ[e I think Skyscanner would work (it doesn't do Scoot - you will have to look that one up yourself separately

But it does do Air Asia

I'm not sure how much money you are going to save this way though. Why not just chose an airline that allows the stop-over where you want.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
456 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best search engine for flex dates / Low-cost airlines/Oz-Eur

Ii would suggest looking at Singapore, Cathay Pacific or Thai for stop over deals in Asia. At least the onward flight is with the same airline. I have had some good stop over deals in Hong Kong returning from Europe. As before, you may not save anything with a low cost carrier for a section to Asia.

Pascoe Vale...
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best search engine for flex dates / Low-cost airlines/Oz-Eur

Try Royal Brunei , good airline, great service, food is not bad either. No grog, but BYO.

19. Re: Best search engine for flex dates / Low-cost airlines/Oz-Eur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2015, 07:16