We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA Business Lounge - Gatwick - tips etc

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
BA Business Lounge - Gatwick - tips etc

We have managed to upgrade to CW on AVIOS for our outbound flight on 17/11/14 going to Barbados.

We plan to travel down the day before,a stay in the Sofitel ( used it a few times and really like it)so will hopefully have a stress free morning before our 11.25 flight

We want to take the fullest advantage of the business lounge so I am looking for any summaries/tips of the experience - for example I would like a breakfast and a glass or two of champagene before we fly as it is our wedding anniversary.

The BA lounge website is not that useful.

In anticipation.....

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,871 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA Business Lounge - Gatwick - tips etc

You can have breakfast but it's not full English, just pastries, toasts, porridge and yogurts with different cereals. You have to ask for champagne, it's not on display.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: BA Business Lounge - Gatwick - tips etc

You will get a couple of glasses of champagne, but you have to ask for it, it is not with the drinks, the staff are excellent and will bring it over to you.

There are no hot items for breakfast in the club lounge, except maybe toast. there are cereals, pastries etc.

I have stayed at the sofitel and it is fine, but can I suggest something to you. Look at the park and fly rate with the Premier Inn at North terminal. It includes official Gatwick valet parking, we were driving out of the airport half hour after the plane landed last year.

Also, and this may not suit you, you can normally check in at lunch time. We drop the car at the valet parking, go over to the primer inn, check in, then get the train to Brighton for the day. Few drinks and a nice meal, walk along the front, even in winter it is great, just an option.

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA Business Lounge - Gatwick - tips etc

Lex - Thanks, The breakfast optons are a bit disappointing. We did the Buisness CLass Emirates Lounge in Dubai a few years ago and that had a great ( albeit non pork) selection of food items.

Lllama - Thanks, will look at the Premier Inn - is it walkable to the North Terminal on the morning of our flight or is a bus laid on?

Did the Brighton day trip thing with the lads a good few years ago - had some (man talk for a lot) of beers and then sat soaked to the skin on the train back to Gatwick having thought it was a good idea to go swimming (fully clothed)

Edited: 04 August 2014, 12:48
Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: BA Business Lounge - Gatwick - tips etc

ha ha, sounds like a good day. Yes, you have to book the Premier Inn North terminal, it is a grey block for want of a biter description. this is the link premierinn.com/en/hotel/GATTHY/london-gatwic…

It is right next to the sofitel, out up the moving track and then into the terminal. We left it, checked in and where through security in 8 minutes this year, you get fast track flying club.

We've done the Brighton trip last 4 times now, I look forward to it almost as much as the holiday.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: BA Business Lounge - Gatwick - tips etc

Hope you don't mind, but looked at your dates and about £40 difference with 15 days parking, that could be your breakfast at the Premier Inn, you can still use the bars and restaurant at the Sofitel.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,898 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA Business Lounge - Gatwick - tips etc

If you are considering somewhere other than the Sofitel (although they would do a good breakfast I'd have thought), I can recommed the (newish) Hampton by Hilton. It is actually in the North terminal so 2-3 minutes to the check in areas and IMO nicer than most PIs, though still a budget hotel. No need to go outside (useful in November) and no need for a shuttle or cab. They do parking packages but I don't know how much these are.

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA Business Lounge - Gatwick - tips etc

Thanks for all the tips re hotels etc, food for thought.

Re the BA Lounge - is it somewhere where we'd want to spend a few hours - Mrs C REALLY enjoys a bit of retail therapy.

I guess I am excited about going CW and havingthe accessto the loung but if its nt that great i would rather pay fo soemthing elsewhere - hope that makes sense.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: BA Business Lounge - Gatwick - tips etc

I will look at that next time, did not know it was there, great tip.

the breakfast at the Sofitel is very good, great juice. Not sure of price as I stayed with Avios so it was included.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: BA Business Lounge - Gatwick - tips etc

It is not the greatest lounge, not a patch on the LHR ones. It depends what you want really. It is normally quiet and the staff very good. I have used the pay lounges, through priority pass, but would not pay for them as I think you can get better food and drink elsewhere for the money.

You don't have to be in there together and can come and go as you please, so if your wife wants the shops and you just fancy a quiet drink then you have the option.

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA Business Lounge - Gatwick - tips etc

I booked the PI for September dinner,bed and breakfast £94.50 for 2 of us a bargain I thought for hotel airport.

PI have the most comfy beds.

Deb