We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best 24 layover in Europe?

Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Best 24 layover in Europe?

I am taking a trip from New York to Munich (via Lufthansa) in late September but would like to arrange a 24 hour layover in another European city before I arrive in Munich. Does anyone have recommendations of where to go? So far I have heard Zurich and Frankfurt are good layover destinations.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best 24 layover in Europe?

Frankfurt would not be my choice. Why not research what options are available to you and see what interest you. Be sure to check out if this stop will incur any additional costs (taxes, etc.). It's going to be cheaper to fly into/out of some airports compared to others.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best 24 layover in Europe?

Frankfort wouldn't be my choice either. It's a mostly industrial, not-very-charming option.

I would echo gracie-boo's advice to see what your reasonable options are before soliciting opinions on cities that may not even be an option for you.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,059 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best 24 layover in Europe?

I'll third that sentiment by Gracie-boo.

I don't mind Frankfurt as an entry point into Europe (there's enough to see for an overnighter, and the upside is easy access to the city from the airport), but certainly wouldn't go out of my way to spend 24hrs there.

Edited: 04 August 2014, 19:13
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best 24 layover in Europe?

Amsterdam but I'm kinda bias since I lived there for a while. It's by no means a 24 hour city with everything closing up around 4 in the morning.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best 24 layover in Europe?

Frankfort wouldn't be my choice either

Not sure I'd want to spend my European layover in Kentucky either.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,826 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best 24 layover in Europe?

Why not just book an open-jaw flight to city that you want to visit?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best 24 layover in Europe?

Believe that's OP's plan but they don't know what additional city they want to visit.

Edited: 04 August 2014, 22:24
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,474 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best 24 layover in Europe?

I would vote Barcelona, Amsterdam, Paris, Madrid, Prague, London, but much will depend on what sort of routing you have in mind, whether you'd take a train between cities, or whether you see this as a true layover before flying on to Munich. Look for somewhere with a relatively quick and cheap train ride into the city center.

I'll echo the sentiments on not having a layover in Frankfurt. I did that a few years ago, taking the train from Munich to Frankfurt then flying home from Frankfurt, and found Frankfurt to be pretty charmless with the exception of a couple of blocks. Zurich is fine, but doesn't really float my boat. It looks like you would expect it to look, and struck me as a cold city, literally and figuratively.

Have fun in Munich, one of my favorite cities. I'll be there in September as well.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,347 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best 24 layover in Europe?

Stopping in Frankfurt allows you to spend the night in Mainz, a short train ride from the airport. You can also see the nearby world heritage fossil site and spend a lovely evening on the riverbank.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best 24 layover in Europe?

if it's with Lufthansa, does he have any other choice but Frankfurt?