We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost luggage at Helsinki Airport

Pretoria, South...
2 posts
Save Topic
Lost luggage at Helsinki Airport

I have flown on Saturday 2 August 2014 from Helsinki to Madrid via Dusseldorf. There is no trace on the computer systems of my luggage loaded on any flight. This means the luggage must still be in Helsinki. Because the last flight was IBERIA it becomes their problem to put up the list luggage report. Why is it not FINAIRs problem. They know what time I booked in (unfortunately 3 hours before the flight) because it is on the system. Cant they use the airport cameras to determine where the suitcase is. Is it possible that it can be stolen there? Because I was booked on AirBerlin from who do you claim? I am desperate to get my bag back. The difficulty is that there is no trace of the bag. I tried to call FINAIR but I could not understand the Finish.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,760 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost luggage at Helsinki Airport

Hi,

By international agreement, it is the last carrier who actually transports you, that takes the claim, investigates the claim, and if necessary pays any settlement..

Carries do, as a part of their larger ticketing and interline agreements, a provision as to how any baggage case costs are shared, but you as the passenger only deal with one carrier - the last one.

Just because the last scanned location is in X does not means it is in or was lost at X.

Baggage tags can come off bags - handles get torn off all the time .. So it is possible the tag was scanned, but was sub-sequentially separated from the bag.

High odds, no.. But not at all beyond possible.

Camera tracking of bags isn't the reality (yet) in any current airport as that's not how the exhausting cameras are set up.

They tend to focus on security issues - doors and other access points, or key operational areas like a baggage belt divider, sort mechanism or other "pinch" point in the process.

You will need to continue to follow up with that last carrier ... Do remember that as an odds-on basis, the odds are strongly in your favor the bag will be found at some point.

Best of luck

Travel Safe,

2. Re: Lost luggage at Helsinki Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 07:17