We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missing a feeder service: Ticket validity

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Missing a feeder service: Ticket validity

I'm planning to fly from Amsterdam to Cape Town on BA, changing in London. The flight involves a transfer from London City Airport to Heathrow. (The AMS- London flight comes in to LCY) .

My question is, if I missed the flight from Amsterdam for any reason, but still made it to Heathrow in time, would that in any way affect the validity of my ticket?

Edited: 06 August 2014, 22:03
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,961 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Missing a feeder service: Ticket validity

It really depends on the reason, and whether or not this is on one itinerary or not (one booking confirmation number).

If it's a reason due to the airline and it's one itinerary, then they have a duty to get you to your destination.

If it's two itineraries, then it wouldn't affect the validity of the ticket out of London (but it may affect your return flight from London to AMS).

It it was on one itinerary and it's not the airline's fault that you missed the flight (which is what I suspect is what you are asking) then you would be classified as a "no show" and the rest of your itinerary would be cancelled with no compensation to you, including the return flights.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Missing a feeder service: Ticket validity

Thanks, that really answers my question. It was much cheaper to book from Amsterdam to Cape Town, than from London to Cape Town, and I was planning just to show up in London for the second leg of the flight. Clearly, I will have to go to AMS first! Is that correct?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,736 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Missing a feeder service: Ticket validity

Yes you will, if it is all booked on one ticket. No show the first leg and all subsequent legs will be cancelled.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Missing a feeder service: Ticket validity

It was much cheaper to book from Amsterdam to Cape Town, than from London to Cape Town, and I was planning just to show up in London for the second leg of the flight. Clearly, I will have to go to AMS first! Is that correct?

======

Yes that's correct. If you miss (skip) the first AMS-LCY leg your entire ticket will be canceled. That's to stop people doing "hidden city ticketing".

If you flew AMS-LCY and the flight was delayed and missed the LHR-CPT flight then (with all flights on one ticket) you would be rebooked onto later flight(s) at no cost.

So, you need to make your way over to Amsterdam to start your journey. Make sure you get there in plenty of time (consider going there the day/evening before) as you don't want to miss the AMS-LCY flight.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 22:16
London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Missing a feeder service: Ticket validity

BA wanted nearly £1000 for the flight from London, and £590 from Ams, so it's definitely worth getting on Easyjet London-Ams first to catch the AMS-London flight. Strange pricing. Anyway, I've always wanted to see the sights of Amsterdam, so no problem spending a day or two there first.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Missing a feeder service: Ticket validity

<<Strange pricing>>

Actually, when you think about it, it's just market forces. BA is charging £1000 for LHR-CPT non stop because it's non stop; you're paying for the convenience. The one stop (with an airport change) from AMS is inconvenient, and BA is pricing that at £590 primarily to lure pax from Holland away from KLM's non stop.

Anyway, looks like you're all set. Well done and have a great trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Missing a feeder service: Ticket validity

Thanks to all who replied to this. I have been trying to get a straight answer out of BA and Google searches for hours. Using this forum, I was able to get a well informed and definitive answer in 10 minutes!

A look at the Rijksmuseum and Ann Frank's house, along with a visit to a coffee shop or two, and a cruise on the canals (and possibly the red light district if I have the energy) beckons!

The budget Ibis hotel at Schipol is quoting £30 a night, and a flexi fare on Easyjet is only £60, so travelling from AMS really will save money!

Edited: 06 August 2014, 22:50
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,961 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Missing a feeder service: Ticket validity

Glad that we were able to give you the help you needed. Looks like you are turning this into a more fun trip than you had initially planned - nice job!

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Missing a feeder service: Ticket validity

Just be aware that even if you book on one ticket and you miss your flight from Heathrow due to something outside BA's control, traffic, public transport etc, they will not put you on another flight. So make sure you have plenty of time to make the connection.

britishairways.com/travel/…en_gb

This is a pretty rubbish itinerary so for the cheap price you are bearing a certain amount of risk.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,736 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Missing a feeder service: Ticket validity

Good hotel you've looked at too in the Ibis - although it is a bit of a distance from Schiphol. They do offer a free shuttle bus between the hotel and the airport. From there the rail link into Amsterdam is excellent too.