We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why does Stansted official parking get such a bad rap?

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
348 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Why does Stansted official parking get such a bad rap?

I see a lot of bad feeling on these forums about Stansted Airport's parking rates. But the price I've been quoted for September – the cheapest is £56 for 10 days – would seem to be comparable with other places. Am I wrong?

And does anyone know why the different on-site car parks charge different rates? It doesn't seem to make any difference whether I go for "mid stay" or "long stay", they'll both accept me, but at a slightly different charge. Confused.

UK
Level Contributor
5,925 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why does Stansted official parking get such a bad rap?

The long-stay car park is a LOOONG way from the terminal - that's why it's cheaper. (And I think buses may run less frequently - not sure as the last time I used it was in 1999) The mid-stay car park is just a short bus ride away (and far more convenient if - like me - you're arriving from the East)

England
Level Contributor
263 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why does Stansted official parking get such a bad rap?

Parked in Long Stay loads at Stansted, no issues, the transfer is longer than others but there are always buses and never had an issue.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
348 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why does Stansted official parking get such a bad rap?

Thanks. I gather now that it's the pick-up charges that cause the anger. I've booked into the long-stay, and as we're planning on arriving in plenty of time, the transfer shouldn't be an issue.

Cambridge, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Why does Stansted official parking get such a bad rap?

Despite all the hyper on the car parking website about it being much cheaper to book your parking on line this is not entirely true. It is often cheaper to turn up and pay. I recently booked the mid stay via the internet, flew out to dublin in the morning and back in the evening. I was charged a whacking £36. When I got to the mid sty car park I saw it was £20 for 24 hours. I complained about this to the car park manager (Magairport) but have had little satisfaction. If you put Stansted Car Parking into the search engine all it gives you is the internet price for the different car parks. It says nothing about the price for turn up and park price. I have now found were this is shown. You have to go to the Stansted airport site, then look for car parking, then find near the bottom of a long list on the right the turn up and pay price. I thing that Magairport are being purposely misleading. Today the turn up price at midstay is Daily (or part thereof) - £21.00. The on-line price is £28.99 ! so all the hype of book on line may be misleading - caveat vendor!

5. Re: Why does Stansted official parking get such a bad rap?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2015, 06:16