We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick Connecting Flight Questions

Coventry, England...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Quick Connecting Flight Questions

Hey guys,

My younger brother is heading to China on August 25th for 10months (University thing). He's leaving Heathrow at 12:30 with Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong (Arrival at 7:05am) and then has a connecting flight leaving at 8:50am (all booked one 1 ticket with CP).

Now he only has 1hr 45m at HK to transfer to the other plane and he may not make it if he's late in HK. I've never missed a connection before but just have a quick few questions.

Am I right in assuming if he misses his connection then CP will stick him on the next available flight? (they only have 1 a day to where he needs to go so will be the following day)

Also who will be responsible for his food/hotel costs? I've told him he will probably have to pay but I'm not actually sure if the Airline will look after him.

Also I've only had baggage left behind once (last year, I went Dub > AMS to SFO. My suitcase didn't make it out of AMS fast enough on a 1hr 20m connection). I'm not sure if Hong Kong is any better than Amsterdam at baggage transfers but they would transfer his suitcase the following day if it didn't get put on the new plane within the 1hr 45mins right?

Just need to get these few questions out the way as he/me haven't been to China before so not sure if the processes are any different to Europe.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,842 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick Connecting Flight Questions

"Am I right in assuming if he misses his connection then CP will stick him on the next available flight?" - Yes, they'll get him on the next flight with available seats and they might consider routing with another carrier.

"Also who will be responsible for his food/hotel costs? I've told him he will probably have to pay but I'm not actually sure if the Airline will look after him." - Depends on the reason for the misconnect, if the airline was at fault (technical reasons) they could pay for hotel/food but unlikely if it was for weather related problems.

"I'm not sure if Hong Kong is any better than Amsterdam at baggage transfers but they would transfer his suitcase the following day if it didn't get put on the new plane within the 1hr 45mins right?" - Yes

2. Re: Quick Connecting Flight Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 06:17