We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opodo going back on refund promises?

Edinburgh, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Opodo going back on refund promises?

I’m having a bit of a nightmare with Opodo at the moment and was wondering if you would be kind enough to help me. I booked flights with them a couple of days ago to New Zealand from the UK. It said it was with KLM airlines. After booking and paying it turned out most of the route was with Malaysia airlines and I decided I could not fly with them. I emailed them the same day I booked and said I wished to cancel my flights where do I stand. They emailed me back and in 3 separate emails confirmed the amount I would get back (from the taxes) would be 636.15. Then however, 10 minutes after cancelling, was told it would be £200 I would get as a refund. I said no sorry you emailed me 3 times detailing the amount as £636.15. The advisor went away and checked and confirmed that they would honour their quote and pay me back £636.15. I requested another confirmation of that amount in an email, she said she would email right away. When the email arrived it was clearly very carefully worded to not detail the exact amount.

I emailed 5 times and have called twice to request a proper email and everyone is being very shady about it and saying tat I will have to wait 12 weeks and although they can confirm verbally I will receive £636.15, nobody is willing to put that in writing. I am now waiting for a supervisor to call me back. Please tell me where do I stand with this? It’s four years worth of savings to go see my sister and now I have no spending money for the time I’m there this has been horrible. I wouldn’t have even booked that ticket if the website hadn’t kept crashing.

Thanks for your help,

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,604 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opodo going back on refund promises?

I'm guessing the higher amount includes certain surcharges lumped under the 'taxes and fees' label which are not refundable. So somebody screwed up and gave you the wrong amount. That said, with Opodo you will be lucky if you get anything back at all. Did it not once occur to you to Google the company before handing over 4 years worth of savings?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Opodo going back on refund promises?

When you selected your flights on the opodo website it does show "partially operated by Malaysia Airlines" next to the KLM option

If your booking is for 2014, Malaysian are giving full refunds for flights which should hopefully cover codeshares as well however I guess some of your flights are with KLM direct so may not be able to be cancelled without penaltly

Edinburgh, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Opodo going back on refund promises?

No, I had really hoped that it would be like when I used Expedia and there were no problems. Malaysia airlines refunds for their flights ended over a week ago and I called them direct but they are not budging. The £636 is actually all just taxes which won't be incurred since I have cancelled my flight.

Edinburgh, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Opodo going back on refund promises?

You would think with a company operating in the UK they would comply by certain regulations. I am happy to write a 100+ reviews of them and contact the Financial Ombudsman and small claims court if need be.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,604 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opodo going back on refund promises?

They may be operating in the UK but they are located in Spain. If you bought one ticket the refundable part won't be close to £636.

Edinburgh, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Opodo going back on refund promises?

It was a return ticket to New Zealand. Whether that's what they want to refund me or not I cancelled on the confirmation that that was my refund so they need to honour their word or they should have informed me before I cancelled my ticket.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opodo going back on refund promises?

When you chose these flights, it showed which ones were operated by Malaysian Airlines. I am not sure why you just wouldn't take these flights; it's not as if they are cursed. These problems could have happened on any airline.

Your receipt should detail what taxes/fees you paid. What does that say?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,604 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opodo going back on refund promises?

"It was a return ticket to New Zealand."

The refundable part on such a ticket is less than £200 (in economy) as far as I can tell. I agree that they should refund the amount they said they would but we're dealing with one of the worst 3rd party sites out there so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edinburgh, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Opodo going back on refund promises?

The reason I am not taking the flights is not that relevant to the real query here. It's not as if I was asking for a full refund. It's that they told me a refund amount, I agreed to it. They irreversibly cancelled my flights and then told me they would give me a much lower amount.

It's like if I walk into Tesco, pick up a doughnut for 50p and eat it then go to the checkout and offer 23p. That is theft. If they refund me just my taxes as they said they would I will get £636 back.

Edinburgh, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Opodo going back on refund promises?

But if I get trading standards, the press, citizen's advice on board I will get it back. These took me four years to save and I don't mind annoying the hell out of them til I get it back. I will be contacting the managing director next.