We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

norwegian air usa flights

Kent
Level Contributor
5,948 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
norwegian air usa flights

just wondered if anyone is back from the usa flying with norwegain air? we go in sept on the dreamliner and just wanted to know people's views etc, been on dreamliner with thomsons and had no problems etc, thought there might of been some reviews by now

thanks

Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: norwegian air usa flights

Try thedibb.com - always a review or two that may be of use there.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: norwegian air usa flights

Lots of reviews here. Not many good ones though (probably from people who didn't read the samll print!)

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/norwegian.htm

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,151 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: norwegian air usa flights

There are also comments on all sorts of internet discussion groups about flight delays and aircraft substitutions. The "Dreamliner" marketing hype, which Boeing have now quietly dropped after the many and public problems the 787 aircraft has had, is anything but for many airlines. Thomson have sensibly kept a few of the 767s that they had used on long haul flights before the 787s came, and these can often be found standing in for a 787 receiving unscheduled maintenance. BA have also delayed the retirement of two of the 767s their new 787s were bought to replace.

Norwegian are new to long haul, and their only long haul aircraft are 787s so the unreliability hits them harder. They have to charter in replacement aircraft from wherever they can get them.

Now most of the unreliability is of the fail-safe kind - instruments that show there is a problem when actually there isn't, but the mechanics have to spend hours checking components to be sure. And if your flight departs and arrives on time, the actual experience on board is exactly what Norwegian promise. Don't forget they're a low cost carrier, and you get what you pay for. Some of the complaints I've seen are from people who wanted to pay Ryanair prices for BA onboard service.

Kent
Level Contributor
5,948 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: norwegian air usa flights

doesn't make very good reading but it's booked so will have to cross y fingers and hope fr the best, we go in 4 weeks so hope things improve by then, it was a very good price and if there are useless then i know what to expect or just not use them, touch wood, won't tell hub tho cos i can't stand 4 weeks of him moaning about something that might not happen, thanks for replies

London, United...
Level Contributor
245 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: norwegian air usa flights

We are booked to travel Norwegian Air in December back from New York. We are only travelling back from New York with them though, travelling over via an iceland stopover! So if we get stuck in New York the only thing I will miss is work! (N who minds about that...!) ;)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: norwegian air usa flights

The other thing to add to Andy's post #3 is that Norwegian is a low cost carrier and as such does not have any interline agreements with other airlines. That means if there is a delay or cancellation you are stuck and have to wait until your plane is repaired or for the next Norwegian flight. That's not a big problem for their short haul services within Europe as they have plenty of aircraft and routes. But on the long haul services they have very few aircraft and are only flying these routes 3-4 times per week, so it's possible you could be stuck for days.

On the plus side, Norwegian is a European Community Carrier** for the purposes of EU261 and so if there are delays they must provide duty of care (meals, hotels, etc) and are liable for compensation if there are longs delays, even on the USA-Europe legs.

[** - EU261 applies to the European Economic Area of which Norway is a member]

Kent
Level Contributor
5,948 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: norwegian air usa flights

to be honest the price was a big factor in booking these, i don't care if we are delayed coming home but not going! didn't really think much about what happens as they don't have a lot of planes as been said. nothing i can do so just have to hope for the best. worse thing would be changing hotels as they are booked but i guess at worst would just miss the first 1

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: norwegian air usa flights

Took Norwegian from Oslo to Oakland on August 18 and I was impressed. The departure was a little disorganized but basically on time. The arrival in Oakland was exactly on time. The 787 Dreamliner was an amazing plane overall. The improved cabin pressure made a big difference in how fresh you feel on arrival. The ambient lighting in the cabin was quite cool... it simulated darkness even though it actually was light outside the entire route. And the in flight entertainment worked like a charm, particularly the 3d mapping feature. Best of all, paying $340 USD at the height of summer brought Europe within reach for the whole family. I would definitely fly Norwegian again.

California
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: norwegian air usa flights

Thank you for posting about your Norwegian Air experience. I live across the bay from Oakland so it's good to know in case I decide someday to fly with them.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: norwegian air usa flights

By the way Andy (and others).... we flew BA on the outbound, from SFO to London. We thought the service was better on Norwegian. The flight attendants were mostly composed of Thai nationals, presumably on a lower salary than European or American workers. (The ethics of Norwegian's labor practices is beyond the scope of this post... My only point is that it worked out well for this passenger.)