We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anyone flown with monarch recently?

Wales
Level Contributor
401 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
anyone flown with monarch recently?

hello all

Has anyone recently returned from Lanzarote with Monarch?

If so, can you tell me please whether they still sell cigarettes on board? their website suggests that they are not sold on flights within the EU. As Lanza is governed by Spain, I'm not sure whether it falls into this category.

Thanks

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anyone flown with monarch recently?

Lanzarote not within the EU for duty free purposes so will be on sale but in all honesty they were quite a bit cheaper in Lanzarote.

Tamworth
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anyone flown with monarch recently?

The problem with buying them in resort before coming home is that you have to adhere to the allowed restrictions on what you can bring back, whereas you can buy as many as you like on the plane (or at the airport once you've gone through security, usually quite cheap there too).

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,959 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anyone flown with monarch recently?

What a bad piece of advice. It makes no difference where you buy them, you still have to comply with the law for duty free goods. 200 cigs per person, over the age of 18.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anyone flown with monarch recently?

What strange advice. Limits are limits and you can buy thousands in resort as well if you want anyway.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anyone flown with monarch recently?

You can buy as many as you want. Just be aware that you will have to pay the duty on them!!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,959 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anyone flown with monarch recently?

It's not just the excise duty, and the customs duty, it's the VAT as well.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anyone flown with monarch recently?

And if you pay all the duty they will work out the same or more expensive as buying them in the UK.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,182 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: anyone flown with monarch recently?

These flights are earmarked at UK airports with Customs staff looking out for,and frequently catching,those with thousands of cigs in their cases-and not much else.

caveat emptor

SS

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
293 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: anyone flown with monarch recently?

Probably have flown by now but I returned this week from Lanzarote with monarch. Yes they did sell them on the plane for £33 as opposed to about £24 in the resorts. And the limits still apply, regardless of where you buy. Customs officers are at the exit of baggage collection when you land. I have had my bags randomly searched before.

Bradford
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: anyone flown with monarch recently?

As mentioned above - non EU flights are the ones that customs officers pull people over for the most - baggage often getting scanned so they can get a heads up and look for who's collecting what - that and carrying numerous duty free and on board carrier bags always raises suspicion - not worth the risk at all