We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qatar Airways Missing out Flight Policy

Kolkata (Calcutta...
2 posts
Save Topic
Qatar Airways Missing out Flight Policy

We (M66+, F60+) will travel from JFK (US) to Calcutta (India) by Qatar Airways flight -> JFK-Doha [QR702] (only 55 mins transit), Doha -> Calcutta [QR546]; both flights being operated by Qatar Airways.

God forbids, if 1st flight, i.e., JFK to Doha gets delayed, will it be Qatar Airways full responsibility (which includes complete logistics apart from food etc) to hassle-free safe reaching us and without much delay at Calcutta?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,025 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Qatar Airways Missing out Flight Policy

If the flights are on one ticket and you miss the connection then the airline will get you on the next flight with available seats which might or might not be hassle free as there is no way of knowing in advance when that might be.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qatar Airways Missing out Flight Policy

With the flights on one ticket it will be QR's responsibility to rebook you to CCU at no extra charge. But as Tom says "hassle-free" is a relative topic. QR only has one daily flight from DOH to CCU, the one you are booked on, and I can't see any other flights between those cities. So the rebooked flight may be 24 hours later, or if earlier it would have to be a one stop (multi-carrier) via another city.

Generally QR has operated a good operation at Doha with connecting times as little as 40 minutes. And that was with the overcrowded old airport with buses to/from aircraft stands. I'd say that 55 minutes at the new Hamad International Airport will normally be fine given an on time arrival.

Edited: 08 August 2014, 20:32
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Qatar Airways Missing out Flight Policy

Hi ,My name is shabnam Karimi, We missed our flight.I along with my son,Abtin Nasri ( a 5 YEARS OLD} were booked on flight 5:35 AM QR 485 leaving Tehran,Imam Khomeni Airport { IKA } to final destination JFK with flight QR 701,We got to the airport in Tehran at 3:00 AM ,We went through the security ,and we were at the counter by 4:45 and we did receive a hand written boarding pass from the lady in the counter , later on the manager in charge came and took our tickets and ripped them ,he was very rude and disrespectful to me and my son,he even shouted and humiliated us .and said that the gate is closed after he ripped our hand written tickets ,that her colleague gave us,My son's school has already started in the US.

5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Qatar Airways Missing out Flight Policy

it is my just my email. care about my message.

5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Qatar Airways Missing out Flight Policy

could you tell me what should i do?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Qatar Airways Missing out Flight Policy

samereh, you need to clarify why you were refused travel

1) What time were you advised to be at the boarding gate by, were you told that the gate was closed and everyone else had boarded the flight?

2) If the gate had not closed for boarding, what reason were you given for not being allowed to board?

3) Did Qatar give you another reason for being denied travel? Have they offered to get you on another flight?

What were the hand written boarding cards for?

I have not been to Tehran, but 1 hour and 45 mins seems a long time to get through security and to the gate

Did you book your flights with Qatar or with a 3rd party agent (some agents have been known to cancel flight bookings)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Qatar Airways Missing out Flight Policy

"We got to the airport in Tehran at 3:00 AM ,We went through the security ,and we were at the counter by 4:45 and we did receive a hand written boarding pass from the lady in the counter "

======

If by "the counter" you mean the check in counter then it looks like check in would have already closed. According to the QR website check in closes one hour before departure, which for a 5.35am flight would have been 4.35am. There's no easy way to say this, but unfortunately you were late.

The fact that a check in agent gave you hand written boarding passes is strange - I would not have expected her to do that unless there was a system outage. If she was trying to circumvent (bypass) the reservation system then I would say that she was in the wrong and the manager was right. You say that "he was very rude and disrespectful to me and my son", but I could see his point of view if one of his staff had incorrectly given you boarding passes, although his anger should have been directed at his staff and not you.

Qatar recommends that you arrive at the airport three hours before departure for airport check in. You arrived 2hr35 before departure which - while many would consider it enough time - wasn't in this case, and this goes to show why you should adhere to the airlines' recommendations - qatarairways.com/global/en/checking-in.page

Edited: 11 September 2014, 06:53
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Qatar Airways Missing out Flight Policy

1- 4:45

2- 50 minutes before the flight the manager told me the gate is closed.

3-he told us we are 10 minutes late and he said to go to the travel agency where i bought my tickets.

4- to get on the plane. some nights are busy.

5-3rd party agent.

5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Qatar Airways Missing out Flight Policy

What will happen to my ticket?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,025 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Qatar Airways Missing out Flight Policy

"What will happen to my ticket?" - If you failed to meet the deadlines for check in or being at the gate for boarding then you are simply a no show and the ticket is cancelled requiring you, in most cases, to buy a new ticket.