We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage Lost Air France

4 posts
Save Topic
Baggage Lost Air France

I had a flight from venice to mumbai via Paris, while venice to Paris was an air france flight, Paris to mumbai was a code share flight and jet airways was operating it. I had two checked in bags and I received only one. 7 days have passed and neither air france or jet airways has been able to give a satisfactory reply. I am totally frustrated, till when should I wait and what should be the next course of action?

California
Level Contributor
4,268 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage Lost Air France

Hi, first of all you have a duplicate posting. Only one post/thread should suffice.

When you mention that neither airline has given you a "satisfactory reply" what did they actually tell you? I've been fortunate to have only had one bag go missing in all the years I've flown. And I was lucky to have had the issue resolved within a three day period. When I filed the missing bag report at the airport I was given a reference number and was emailed periodically of any updates. I was also able to be reimbursed for the clothing, shoes, and toiletries I needed. This was with KLM which is affiliated with Air France. They ought to have the same policy.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage Lost Air France

When luggage goes missing, the fault is usually with staff employed by an airport rather than the airline. There is nothing very much that the airline (or anyone else) can do about it until some airport notices that it has a bag that should not be there.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,369 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage Lost Air France

Hi,

"till when should I wait and what should be the next course of action?"

==> there really is very little you can do to impact this. Bag tracking is largely a reactive process versus a proactive process.

Usually bags are "found" when someone or a part of the overall system detects or finds it in a place where it's not supposed to be..

When that happens the entity who found it will use the global bag tracking system - WorldTracer - and enter data about the bag..

Your report that you filed would then be automatically matched with the "found" report, and your airline would be told "we found a possible match"

That's the "how" things are going to work..

As to timeline ... most carries classify cases as "delayed" from day #1 until the end of day #21 (usually counting from the day after you filed your report) .. After day #21, they would usually move your case from "tracking" or delayed, to lost, and along with that, start the formal settlement process.

So.. Until you reach day #21, there's not a whole lot you can do to impact the case ... Be sure your report is accurate (you'd be surprised how many people claim on the report that their bag is red, but when found is blue or otherwise) and that the carrier has a good contact number or similar.

If your case is getting *close* to day 21, and it's still not found, now I'd start to collect paperwork that you may have to document what was in the bag and it's purchase price..

When a carrier moves to settle a claim it's not uncommon for them to ask you for proof of ownership and/or price as a tool they use to determine your settlement amount.

However do remember that the statistical odds it won't be found are in fact very very low.

Travel Safe,

4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage Lost Air France

Thank you for your reply. The world tracer shows still under tracing. Also I wanted to know that Air France guys are saying that I must get in touch with Jet Airways since the last carrier I was travelling was of Jet, but the tickets I purchased were of Air France and I handed over my luggage to Air France in Venice. So which airline is finally responsible?

Will posting my problem on air france page on Facebook/twitter help?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage Lost Air France

"that Air France guys are saying that I must get in touch with Jet Airways since the last carrier I was travelling was of Jet"

That is correct.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,369 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage Lost Air France

Hi,

It is the LAST carrier who you actually flew with that takes your claim, investigates it and if necessary, pays any claims.

The fact you bought it with a different carrier is not relevant here .. Only who was the LAST carrier you flew with*

(Note: this is speaking to cases where a passenger and their checked baggage is in fact properly issued as and used as a true interline situation and not a self- made "onward" trip consisting of two or more independently purchased tickets)

7. Re: Baggage Lost Air France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 06:16