We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transavia carry on

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Transavia carry on

Hi - we have a Transavia flight from Paris to Venice and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of how often they make you check your carry-on if it is over the 'guaranteed' measurements. The rules are:

Recommended dimensions

Max. 40 x 25 x 20 cm

Guaranteed to be allowed into the cabin! That’s because this bag fits under the seat in front of you or inside the overhead compartment.

Maximum dimensions

Max. 55 x 35 x 25 cm

Just remember that trolleys are transported as hold luggage on crowded flights.

The Guaranteed size is so small!! Do they use one of those metal framed things to check. If I have a soft bag that fits in though stretched out it is bigger will they let me take it? I have no problem with the max dimension but the guaranteed are even smaller than my handbag.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transavia carry on

Yes, they have metal cages to check baggage. Just about every airline in Europe uses them, some more zealously than others. Transavia are an LCC and charter airline so they're pretty zealous - oversized bags are a revenue source, and over-full overhead lockers cause departure delays as cabin crew try to sort the mess out.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,874 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transavia carry on

Why worry? If the flight is not full then you can take the bigger size on with you. Just keep a carrier bag handy for valuables like passports etc, in case they make you put it in the hold.

Lots of LCC (e.g. Easyjet) are doing this these days.

They won't charge you for it, just means you have to wait for your bag at the carousel.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transavia carry on

Yes sure Ronaldo thats sounds fine and what I had panned to do until I tried to buy a cheap packable shopping/tote bag that falls within 40cm x 20xm. It is so small I haven't succeeded. I need to carry medications and travel docs etc for a month trip.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,874 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transavia carry on

I meant an ordinary supermarket carrier bag, the cloth ones you get. Pack all the essential stuff in there. Put it inside your larger carry on and if they make you check the large on in to the hold then just take the carrier bag on board.

No need to go to lots of expense.

Just to make it clear if the small bag is fold-able and does fit into the cage then they will let you take it on. Does that make sense to you?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transavia carry on

Yes it does make sense thanks and and part of what I was trying to ask - possibly badly! I was planning to do exactly as you suggested but the shopping bags here are quite a bit larger than those dimensions for length and width. Thanks for you help.

San Francisco...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Transavia carry on

Hi Suuluu,

Do you mind sharing your experience with Transavia? How did the luggage dimension check go? I have a backpack which is slight (less than ~1cm) bigger than the allowed dimensions (23 x 56 x 36) and I'm hesitant

how they are going to deal with this. The issue is that their limits is even smaller than those of EasyJet and similar airlines. So, a luggage which is within limit for all other airlines is not in their limit!! Please let me know what you figured.

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transavia carry on

Hi Dimitri, I will do after my flight this Thursday. I was trying to plan what size luggage to bring for our month long trip. We fly paris to venice 2/10

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
393 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transavia carry on

Yes, they will check. And in my case (AMS - RAK), the set up was after your boarding pass was scanned. There were 2 lines and you need to prove your bag can fit in the metal measurement. We were only allowed one piece of carry on total. So any purses etc. will need to be stuffed into one bag. Mine was a soft bag and as long as you can stuff it in, it will be fine. They will check in any pieces that are too big right there and hand out plastic shopping bags to help with consolidating items.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transavia carry on

So our experience was opposite to the above. While I was prepared for the above and went to great trouble to ensure I had one bag and it would fit, many people had large wheeled carry ons as well as handbags, coats etc. When we were boarding they called for volunteers to check their bags due to the large amount of cabin luggage but I couldn't see that anyone did. My flight was full and it was Orly - Marco Polo.

Edited: 04 October 2014, 18:03
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transavia carry on

Oh and I couldn't see that they made anyone use the metal sizers either at check in or boarding, though they were there. Some bags seemed quiet large. Mine was like yours and 1 cm bigger that the guaranteed carry on size so it was a non issue